The Window breaker

(Oscar's P.O.V.)
I run up to three boys pulling a wagon filled with small christmas trees. "Hey, that wagon looks heavy" I tell them making them stop, "you know. If you give me one, that wagon would be much lighter". The three boys look at each other confused. "What do you need with a christmas tree?" The tallest boy asks me, "to help you, of course" I tell them. The tallest looks back to the other two who shrugged their shoulders, not really caring to much weather I take one or not. "fine, but a small one". I quickly run up to the wagon and pull one out before heading home. I walk up the many stairs untill I arrive at the front door of the small lowclass imcome appartment. "Look, Mrs Gimlet" I loudly stated as I walk inside the kitchen. At the dinnertable I can see Mrs Gimlet polishing some silverware. Mrs Gimlet is a women in her late 50's or early 60s, she took me in when my mother gave me up as a foundling. She didn't want anything to do with me. As for my father, I don't know who he is or if he's even alive. But it feels like she never wants me around. She looks up at me and then towards the christmas tree. "I got it for free" I said proudly. But Mrs Gimlet ignores me and just asks for my money. "My money?" I ask her confused, "yes" she nods furious, "the money you earned". "I haven't earned anything" I softly tell her. "And what did I tell you" she asks sharply while pointing her boney finger at me. "You tell me so much. Sometimes you just rattle along with out making much sense" I tell her and shrugg my shoulders. "Here I am. Polishing these silverware for a view quid and you have the nerve to get smart with me" she snapps standing up from her chair. "I have told you many times before that you will not come home unless you have earned something. Understood?" she asks as she puts her hands on her hips and looks down at me. I didn't answer her and in annoyence she grabs my jacket and begins to shake me while asking loudly "am I making myself clear?". "Yes, Mrs Gimlet" I tell her with a nod. She roughly lets me go "then what the hell are you doing here?". "I brought a christmas tree, for you" I tell her softly but I was quickly cut off "That tree isn't staying in my house. There is no christmas for us". She walks back to her chair before looking back at me with a disgusted look "I curse the day I took you into my home".

I walk out of the appartment building and outside where a soft dusting of snow is falling from the sky. "I told you that this thing isn't staying in my house!" I hear Mrs Gimlet yell from upstairs. I look up at the window and see her push my tree out of the window. With a loud thud the tree lands in the dirty street. I pick it up, wanting to take it with me, but I feel anger rise in my stomach and I toss it away. I just wanted to know what it feels like to celebrate Christmas. I decide to go and see if I can find a way to make money. As I walk through the streets of Small Heath, I stop when I see a windowmaker. I walk up to him "do you have anything to do for me?". The man looks at me. "Can't you read?" he asks pointing to a sign. I turn my head to the sign.

Help wanted

But I don't understand what it says. After all, I have never learned to read. The man quickly catches on to my inability to read. "How old are you?" he asks me, "I'm ten, sir" I tell him proudly, "and what's your name?". "Oscar. But people call me Ozzy for short". He nods before deciding. "I'll give you 1 quid for every broken window you find" he tells me. Well it may not be much but atleast its something. I try my hardest to find a broken window, but just to my luck I couldn't find anything. Even asking people didn't help. With a lowhanging head I slowly make my way back to the windowmaker. "What's the matter?" he asks me. I tell him that I can't find any broken windows. "You know. Sometimes children get into mischief and smash windows" he smirks and gives me a wink. I look around for a stone or something to break a window with. I find a stone and I break one window after the other. But by the 7th window a copper grabs me by the arm "and now its over, young man". Luckily I have a few tricks up my sleeves and point my finger somewhere and loudly exclaim "look over there!". The copper takes my bait and I pull my arm from him before taking off. I run past buildings, factories, shops and even pubs. Untill, I accidentally crash into someone when I wasn't paying attention. The stranger, a man with a cane grabs my arm. He pulls me up and I can see he has a bit of a scar on his face. "Thank you, Sir" the copper said to the man as he arrives. The man looks on as the copper grabs me by the collar of my jacket and drags me away. "Oi, don't be to rough on the boy. He's only a child" the man said, it almost sounded like an order, "this child is under arrest" the copper explains, "for what?" the man with the cane asks, "stealing the crown jewels? Burning up his school? Or robbing a bank?". The copper stops in his tracks before turning to the man. "for smashing in windows. And if you want to know other information about him, you can recieve that at the station" the copper told them before pushing me further.

(Alfie's P.O.V.)
I watch the copper leave with the boy. "For smashing up windows. Can you believe it. Next thing you know they'll arrest you for not saying goodmorning to everyone you cross on the street" I said while turning on my heel. I stop and turn back to watch the copper and kid before deciding to follow them.

Published: 8th of june 2022