【Twenty-Seven】

Start from the beginning

"What happened?" Finally, you broke the silence.

"I had a disagreement."

"Jack." You pressed, exasperated.

He felt weird from the genuine distress in your voice. Was this guilt? It was nauseating. He hated it.

He pursed his lips, voice still soft, quiet, like he was afraid of raising his voice at you. "I'm being honest. It was a small disagreement, everything..."

He paused and closed his eyes, "...everything worked out in the end. No more tension."

His hand jolted and his sockets snapped open when he picked up a small sound. He could feel your own hands pass with tremors. You kept your head down and paused in your work to rub at your eyes.

You were sniffling.

He didn't know what to do. Hesitantly, he flipped his arm back over and squeezed your hand.

"You're a dumbass." You muttered, sniffling reducing, "A goddamn idiot."

Normally he would have argued, said something about how this barely hurt, it wasn't the worst he had gone through. He had withstood much more painful things than this. Yet, his voice died in his throat before he could muttered any snappy remark. Instead, he felt his chest tighten.

Opening his mouth to speak, he paused. Sighing, he slowly put his free hand to your head, in an attempt of comfort.

"I know."

You didn't move, you were so tired.

"I'm sorry."

You shook your head and looked back up, you sighed and ran a hand down your face. A ghost of a smile danced on your lips.

"Never thought I'd ever hear you apologize." You joked dryly before lowering your gaze back to his one arm. He dropped his other hand from your head. Continuing to wrap his arm you hummed, "You just worry me sometimes, y'know?"

He blinked. He didn't know how to feel about that.

You bit your lower lip, weighing on wether or not you should say what you were thinking.

Deciding to rip the metaphorical bandaid off you gave in to your impulsive thoughts.

"Does this have to do with the hospital incident?"

His posture tensed. You gave a small smile, a knowing glint in your eye. The small detail of how he slowly overtime let himself subconsciously be more expressive around you was heartwarming.

"...Yes." He found himself speaking.

"Even though I asked you not to do anything?"

"...Yes." He admitted once again, he lingered more on his word this time.

You hummed. You weren't surprised.

"I had a feeling you wouldn't listen."

He visibly relaxed when he realized you weren't angry or annoyed with him. Again, you were just tired. It made him...worried.