What's he doing here?

Negan picked Carol up, her arms held on around his neck.

"Wow. Anyone else having Deja Vu? Hey do me a favour would you?" Negan gestured at the strand of hair that had fallen with his eyes.

Carol swept it back for him.

Daryl was waiting by the door, armed with a blade in each hand. "Can we go already?"

Negan took a breath then nodded.

Daryl kicked the door open and pierced the skull of the first Walker that was waiting for them.

•••

When Carol awoke she was greeted by the Alexandria doctor who was taking note of her temperature. "I'm sorry, I did try to get them to leave so you could have some privacy, and so I wouldn't have to step over them."

Negan was sleeping in the bedside chair, his arms were folded, his chin dipped to his chest his long legs were stretched out in front of him, crossed at the ankles. Daryl was on the floor leaning against the wall on her opposite side, his head rested on his knees which were tucked into his chest. Even in sleep Negan held dominance over the room.

"Your leg's looking good, there's no sign of infection. Please try to rest." The doctor left, the sound of the door woke Daryl up.

"You're awake."

"Hey." Carol smiled gently and patted the bed sheets.

Daryl climbed into the bed beside her, he put his sore arm around her shoulder so they could both fit. "I was worried about ya."

Carol nuzzled her head into his chest and breathed a sigh of relief.

"Why is he here?"

Daryl's question caught her off guard.

"Why don't you just ask me?" Negan's voice was gravely and deep with sleep.

"Maybe 'cos no one can trust a word that comes out of your damn mouth." Daryl raised his voice.

"Hey, fuck you." Negan spoke with a grin.

Daryl stood up just as the doctor opened the door.

"That's it! Everyone out!"

The argument spilled out into the street.

"Daryl, you must have some serious mommy issues to not have jumped her bones alrea-" Negan was cut off by Daryl's fist hitting his jaw.

Negan laughed and hit Daryl back harder.
Daryl fell to the floor but quickly scrambled back to his feet. The pair stood nose to nose, sizing each other up.

Negan grabbed Daryl by the neck of his shirt and hit him again.

"Ya know what I feel sorry for you. You missed your chance! She's manipulative, sneaky, secretive, a killer... She's pretty badass. Shit. 'It ain't like that' for you? Well sorry son but someone's gonna lap that shit up."

Negan let Daryl go, he spat out blood.

Negan continued, "We both have our demons. And I ain't afraid to talk about mine, she isn't afraid to do something about her's. She's a survivor, she sees the bigger picture and goes for it. I get her, I think she understands me too. And, to be honest man, she just makes my britches tighten.
And me? Ha, I'm a good guy. Hell I've saved your ass more than once. I killed Alpha, I saved all your asses. Sure I've done things some would say they regret but who hasn't these days, and besides I've done my time."

Daryl scoffed. "You think Carol would go near you? She hates you. Everyone hates you."

Negan nodded, sucked his teeth and turned away leaving Daryl to return to the medic room.