A Suspicious Surprise

⚠️⚠️Triggers: Mentions of vomit⚠️⚠️

Published: June 8th, 2022

Edited: N/A

The sky wore a veil of the darkest blue sequined with pinprick stars. Wisps of fading clouds blew across the great expanse. A great crescent in the sky shone with a cool light, bathing the land below in a mystical white glow. It illuminated the rooftops, reflecting off of the few remaining puddles that had been spared by the sun. In its soft glow was stillness; a peaceful quiet ruled the city. The quietness was broken sharply by the sudden sound of creaking rusted metal.

The sound of the fire escape jolted [Y/N] awake. Immediately, they knew that they had slept for longer than they meant to. The sun had set, and the moon was shining distantly in the sky. They had remained in the position that they had originally fallen asleep in, Chloe sleeping on their stomach. They gently moved her, trying not to wake the snoozing feline, and pushed themself into a seated position.

They quickly rose and looked out their window. When they couldn't see anything, they walked over to it in an attempt to get a closer look. Even as they leaned slightly out in order to see more, they saw nothing out of the ordinary. The wind ruffled their hair slightly. It was cold. Very cold.

[Y/N] continued their search for the cause of the sound. They were nearly convinced that it had simply been a random creak due to the age of the rusty metal fire escape until they caught sight of a low picnic basket. In the dark it was a bit difficult to see much. The silhouette of the basket revealed that it was full of something, though they were unable to discern what it was.

Cautiously, they reached out to take it. It was on the same level as their window and only a few feet away, so they wondered how they hadn't seen it earlier. [Y/N] leaned out further to grab the handle on the basket.

As they pulled it inside, they were still unable to tell what the contents of the basket were. They set it on the floor with a sigh. Chloe was now awake, walking over to the basket to sniff at it. She herself was also nearly hidden in the dark, her reflective blue-green eyes glowing slightly from the small amounts of moonlight that managed to enter the room.

The teen grabbed their bag from its resting place in the corner of the room. It had been the only thing to suffer damages from the rain. The bag itself was a little wet on the bottom, but most of the clothes inside had stayed dry. What they were looking for was a flashlight. They believed that weeks ago they had thrown one in it, but were unsure.

At last, they found the promised item. It was old, small, and was probably about to run out of battery, but from what they remembered, it would get the job done. They tried pressing the switch on the handle, frustrated when it didn't turn on. After hitting it a few times and trying again, the flashlight reluctantly began working.

They immediately pointed it towards the basket sitting on the floor where they had left it. Chloe was still sniffing it, and was startled by the sudden light engulfing the area. With the basket within the circle of light, [Y/N] was able to clearly see its contents.

Inside were two apples, an orange, a loaf of bread wrapped in plastic, a bottle of either juice or soda, and a paper bag. All of the items were placed on a small white and yellow quilt. They were stunned at the food which seemed to have appeared out of thin air.

Before allowing themself to feel any sort of excitement at the items which would have been difficult to find and way too expensive for them to afford in a place like L'Manburg, they told themself that the fact they had no idea where the basket had come from was the most important thing. Instead, they decided to investigate further to decide whether the items were poisoned or something.