A Stormy Day's Assistance

⚠️⚠️Triggers: Minor Injury, Sickness⚠️⚠️

Published: May 31st, 2022

Edited: N/A

Rain fell in thick sheets over the city. The dark gray clouds overhead blocked out all sunlight, rendering the day dark. The streets were empty, streams of runoff flowing along the sides of the cobbled road. Every building, animal, and street cobble were soaked. A drenched cat scratched at a piece of soggy cardboard.

[Y/N] peeled back the cardboard from their window. Almost instantaneously, Chloe jumped down from the sill onto the wooden floor. She immediately began licking the moisture from her fur, attempting the impossible task of drying herself quickly. She looked weighed down by the water, it dripping off her fur and clumping it together.

While the air inside the apartment was slightly warmer than the air outside, [Y/N]'s lack of a window made certain all the warmth left quickly, even against their best effort. Their cardboard had been soaked through, and they quickly found themself huddled in a corner of their apartment, trying to conserve heat by wearing multiple layers of clothing.

[Y/N] had done some considering. The storm had started that morning, the day after the events at the shopping center. They had re-wrapped their hand, but it had been a little too late. The infection had set it, giving them a fever and a bad headache. It hurt to touch their palm against anything, so they left it limp facing up on the ground next to them.

They felt miserable. The forty-something degree air temperature felt freezing thanks to the wind, and was only heightened by the bone chilling rain. [Y/N] found that their only option was to wait everything out. To pass the time and distract themself from their current situation, they tried remembering all the good things that had happened to them in the last day or so. They had finally taken a true shower, though the water was only lukewarm at the warmest, they had rewrapped their sore cut palm, and they had gotten to know Chloe better. That was about where their good fortune ended.

As they sat there, back against the wall and head resting on their knees, they suddenly remembered something they had virtually forgotten. Exactly one week prior, a ginger man named Fundy had told them something rather odd. They hadn't seen Fundy since their first conversation with the man, though they had sometimes heard voices coming from behind his door.

From what [Y/N] could catch, Fundy normally talked to another young man at night. Their tones were often hushed as if they were sharing a secret. [Y/N] didn't judge, nor did they want to pry on Fundy's social life. They understood that everyone has their secrets, and secrets were never to be discovered by force as long as no one was being hurt. As far as his past offer went, they were slightly tempted to take it.

They looked around their own apartment in a last ditch effort to convince themself that it wasn't all that bad. However, they weren't at all consoled by the sight of their slightly damp Stuff Pile. Everything they owned sat not more than ten feet away from them. At that moment, they made their decision.

They stood shakily, their head pounding. The mere act of standing nearly took their breath. They realized how bad their current condition was. As much as they didn't want to take help from anyone, they would be pretty screwed if they refused.

After spending a few moments leaning against the wall in order to stabilize themself, they stood upright for the first time in a few hours. It was probably only about noon, but [Y/N] had no idea what it looked like outside aside from their brief view as they let in Chloe. From what they had caught, it was incredibly dark. The rain had made everything wet, making the buildings shine from the few visible window lights they could see from their own apartment window.