A (Permanent?) Living Situation

⚠️⚠️Triggers: Blood, Injury, First-aid⚠️⚠️

Published: May 11th, 2022

Edited: N/A

The streets were quiet. Dim street lights illuminated the pavement. Bright pinpricks of stars shone through the cloud cover, with no moon in sight to overpower them. Not a single car, nor person, nor rat, in sight. Everything was still, and everything was silent. A moving human figure broke the stillness. Thin shoes met the cobbles, as uneven steps shattered the silence.

[Y/N] had gotten themself into quite the problem. Even after they had resigned themself to walking it off, their injured ankle still felt no better. If anything, it was beginning to numb in the cold, but they were still unable to walk without a limp. The fact that they had to walk with a limp had slowed them down, stretching a thirty minute speed walk into an hour, plus a break that they had took to drink the rest of the energy drink they had started.

As they breathed, misty clouds of fog formed before their face. Though L'Manburg was considered a temperate place, in the winter it still wasn't optimal to be caught outside without a thick coat. Especially at night. It was too late for [Y/N] to turn back now, as they had been walking for close to an hour. Though the winter night froze their fingers, they were thankful for the hours it offered. In the winter, night in L'Manburg lasted nearly fifteen hours, definitely long enough for the teen to find a place before the streets became full of pedestrians with rest if they needed.

During the time where they had been traveling, they had come up with a plan that they believed was reasonably accomplishable. To distract themself from the cold, they ran over it again. Find an old and possibly abandoned apartment building, break into a room through a window, find a reliable source of water, wash their hand, return to the room where they broke in, and go to sleep.

Not only had the cold been distracting them from their ankle injury, but it had also been distracting them from the bloody mess that was their right palm. Immediately after the fall, they had been filled with so much adrenaline that they hadn't even realized the severity of the cut. However, now they could feel their pulse throughout their entire hand. When they noticed they were leaving a trail of blood, and had begun feeling light headed, they wrapped it tightly with a bandage from their first aid kit after treating it with some anti-infectant. However, it was bound to leave a scar, as they were pretty sure that it had cut through deeply.

[Y/N] shivered again. It wasn't quite freezing, but it definitely wasn't the most comfortable weather. At this point, they were virtually desperate to find a place to settle, at least for the night. They had crossed into the main residential area of the district, far from the outskirts where their foster parents probably still hadn't noticed they were gone. That didn't bother them though, in fact, they preferred it. Though the city's police system was poor in areas like this, with virtually no heroes at all, it had proven adept at finding them in the past.

In fact, [Y/N] had never actually seen a hero in real life. Of course, they knew of their existence from the gossip of people, the occasional educational video they had to watch in their group homes, and when catching a glimpse of someone's tv or phone, but in all of their years, [Y/N] had never seen one in actuality. Living in L'Manburg, it made sense that the legendary heroes with their stupid super powers never took up patrol in their area. L'Manburg itself was so crime-ridden that even the strongest of the heroes wouldn't want anything to do with it. However, that didn't stop them from holding a grudge against the few blessed with supernatural abilities that went on to become heroes.

While lost in their own thoughts, they caught something out of the corner of their eye. A familiar building. In fact, it was a group of familiar buildings. Again, without realizing it, they had entered the area of their old alley. The nostalgia they were met with made it a bittersweet moment, as they recalled their past and everything associated with it. They almost crossed the street to the alley out of pure curiosity and a longing to see how it had held up. However, they stopped themself. They didn't have time to stop just to check up on a place they had left behind. However, the brick apartment complex next to it seemed like a nice alternative.