17- The Problem Isn't Real

"We have a problem."

Your grip on the letter tightened.

"More specifically, you have a problem. It hardly pertains to me." 

You pinched the bridge of your nose. He couldn't just tell you the issue could he? 

"Now that you understand, hold your breath."

"Hold my breath?" You muttered questioningly.

A bright light stung your eyes and the wooden chair vanished. In one moment, you were falling, clawing at nothing to be upright, and the next, you were dropped down onto a padded chair that might have been painful without the added pillows.

Lloyd sat with his arms crossed behind a desk, casually tapping his pen. Slowly, you adopted a displeased expression.

"Why didn't you just summon me in the first place?"
"I wanted to waste your time of course- who do you think I am?" He leaned close to you over the desk and sighed. "Clients can only be summoned once contacted prior. I suppose that it's a way to take them out of the world on their own time, rather than in the middle of work."

"In any case, my summoning of you is the least of your problems." He sat back in his chair, and a weighted air settled around him.

 "I just got word that you were followed," Lloyd revealed. You regarded him skeptically. "Followed how?" He answered in turn. "Followed through dimensions."

You perked up. "Like Miles?" You asked hopefully, to which Lloyd shook his head. "No, not like him. Miles Morales travelled dimensions, but this occurrence indicated that in their post-mortem state, they used their wish to specifically follow the version of you that was in their dimension."

"All right," you accepted. "I get that, but why would you say that's a problem for me? For all I know, they could be a friend." Lloyd snorted. "A friend? You're telling me you had a friend?" 

Your face burned, and you slapped his shoulder."HEY!" He slapped you in response, sending your blood boiling. 

I'm not about to strangle this man. He might be thousands of years old, but he has the mentality of a ten year old. Yup, be the bigger man- be the bigger man-

Lloyd flipped through a thin book. "I mean, it even says here you spent your life holed up in your room watching anime and reading- SMUT?!"

Eyes flipping wide open, your heart thudded. "Hey, hey, hold up!" You blanched. "Oh, sorry, it says manga, I misread it." Lloyd continued to read.

Oh thank goodness, he didn't find it.

"Well," Lloyd set the book down ,"your past life's atrocious habits aside, if anyone had so much desire to meet a person as to follow them to their next life, it must be that they had either intense hatred or love for them. In your case, it is simply impossible to imagine that there could be any who harbored such care for you."

You held your heart, the constant dissing tearing into your soul. "Hey man, that kind of hurts." You said, shaking off the insults, however, you had to agree. 

"I can't think of anyone who would follow me, unless I had some secret admirer." You admitted. "There were a few people I know that openly disliked me, but I can't imagine why Angela would want to ruin my life because I spilled my milkshake on her by accident."

Lloyd waved off the idea. "As an angel of judgement I'll say this: she deserved it anyway."

You blinked at him, and he clicked his pen, stopping to glare at you exasperatedly. "What?" He demanded. "Your life is my soap opera now. I skipped to the more interesting chapters- 'D stands for Drama' sounded more fascinating than 'Exams in five different flavors'."