◔2꧂

✐𖥸✎

"Liam! School starts in twenty minutes! I have to be at work at exactly nine O clock."

I tumble down the stairs trying to zip up my backpack.

"Oof."

"Lee! Oh my goodness are you alright?!" My dad asks, rushing over to me with a worried face.

"I'm fine. The backpack protected me."

"Let me see. Do you have any bruises?"

"Dad. Stop. I said I'm ok. C'mon! I really want to ride my bike."

"You know the rules-"

"Yes I know. I'll wear a helmet."

He sighs and pulls me into a hug.

"Man I miss it when you were small and I could hold you tight. You've grown up so much. My little Lee is gone. You be safe. The school is aware of everything. They have given you permission to keep your phone with you. And if you need to leave the classroom they have a special pass for you to show the teachers ok? Don't hesitate to call one of us alright?"

I nod my head and he rustles my hair before we head outside. He always watches me cross the street until I'm safely on the bike path before heading off. I clip on my helmet and knee pads before kicking up the stand and flinging one leg over. Taking a deep breath I push off and start racing forwards. I probably look silly. A sixteen year old wearing knee pads and a helmet to ride a bike. Unless they are professional bikers, I've never seen anyone wear all the safety gear. It doesn't bother me though. I'm just glad I can still ride my bike.

I decelerate quite a bit knowing if I don't I'll be too exhausted to get to the classroom when I reach the school. I look all around me. Teenagers jogging or running with backpacks. Bus stops and dog parks. Bakeries and cafe's. The streets are mildly busy and there's a quiet hustle bustle all around. The sun is shining fully and the air smells so fresh. Morning time is one of my favorite times of day.

I slowly peddle into the schoolyard and lock my bike on the bike rack. As I'm hanging my helmet on the handle someone comes up to me and pats me on the shoulder.

"Oi. You know a little heads up would be nice. I could have driven you today bruh."

"G'day Chuck. Naw it's fine mate. Mum would have ripped me to pieces."

Chuck laughed and slung his arm around my shoulders.

"Oi Lee bro, I believe there is a new challenge awaiting us."

"Oh? And what do you reckon it is?"

"Well... remember how I've always admired your gift?"

"Gift? What gift?"

"There's a prize for the best painting. It's supposed to be the theme of "wonder" since wondering leads to learning."

"And ya want me to win? What for?"

"The prize is a hundred dollars mate. Remember? All you need for your savings is a hundred dollars and it would be complete. You could finally carry on with your plans! And I'll be the wingman, driving you everywhere like a Chauffeur!" He laughs and I join in.