Chapter Twenty-Six (New Chapters)

Start from the beginning

She couldn't believe it when the officer slammed the door shut and the locks engaged, essentially locking her in the vehicle. She couldn't hear anything, only watch as her fellow kids exclaimed, looking like they were getting angrier by the moment, especially Jace, while Karl was trying to calm him down. The vehicle smelled like nothing, except the slightest hint of cigarettes. And the heat was blaring, but she still felt cold, Touching the thick, black bars that separated the back from the front seats, trying to see between them. The last time she had been in a car like this was when she was escorted back to the police station to make her statement about what happened to her that night, the night that had changed everything. 

She glanced down at the door handle, wishing that if she pulled it that it would work, freeing her. Maybe she could make a run for it, despite how ridiculous she felt for thinking that. She felt like a criminal, being a minor felt like a prison in a way, but especially for a foster child that was owned by the state. She had no control over any aspect of her life. It wasn't long before the cop returned to the vehicle, getting and pulling away. All she could do was watch her house disappear behind her, even her backpack was still laying on the ground like a piece of trash. She didn't outright cry, but couldn't stop the tears from welling, sliding down her cheeks as she silently wept. 

She had been forced into a room, into a metal chair settled by a metal table covered in scratches. It had two half-circled bars sticking out of it on her side, she suspected they were for restraining criminals. There was only one light bulb, above her head, and kept flickering. Her heart pounded ridiculously hard in her chest, she worried it would break her ribs from the inside. So, this is what it's like to be a criminal. He hadn't done anything wrong, she knew that. But, they treated her as if she was the enemy, maybe even a little stupid, as if she was too dumb to make her own choices. She regretted going to the old house, if this was what it was going to cause. She had just wanted a moment to herself, a moment of escape. Was that such a crime? She had no idea how long they had left her in here for, maybe even hours.

But, it startled her when the door abruptly opened, and appeared two officers. One had a bundle of papers in their hand, while the other let the door slam, causing her heart to spasm in her chest. They sat in the chairs across from her, staring at her. She felt so uncomfortable, that she couldn't even look back at them. Instead, she let her head fall slightly, with her eyes on the shiny reflective metal of the table between them.

"Miss Collins, we've contacted a judge" those words had her head lifted "While we conduct an investigation into the home you are currently living in, you will be placed in a group home" her mouth slacked just the slightest in disbelief. She had been in a group home before, it was the place she was forced to stay in until a spot with a foster parent opened up. It was controlled by 'trained professionals' as if that was enough. It was like summer camp, when you bunked with strangers, only there was no fun and games, instead, you could never leave and your every movement was tracked, you weren't allowed electronics of any kind and you could only do what they wanted. You could live there for days, or years. "We believe that the investigation should be settled in five weeks, but we will let you know when you are permitted to go back, that is, if we let you"

"Wait" she shook "Please, I'm b-begging y-you-" she tried to speak, but the words just wouldn't go "Please, j-just let me go h-home. I'm s-sorry, just p-please-"

"You are not permitted to go back" he responded, eyes hard and cold "If we allowed you, children, to do everything you wanted, you would end up dead. Your too stupid to do anything rational with your lives-" she could feel the tears sliding across her cheeks "That's when we step in, to save you from yourselves" The other one spoke

"Maybe you should have thought about the consequences before you went on your 'walk'" he used the quotes with his fingers, to her udder disbelief. They didn't even wait for her to speak before they got up from their chairs to leave.

"A representative from the group home will be here in a few hours" that was all that was spoken before they left, shutting and locking the door behind them with an agonizing click. She just cried, leaning forward to the point her forehead pressed against the cold metal of the table, curling her arms around her head to hide her shame from the cameras on the roof that was pointed right at her.

Sometimes she just wished she could scream, in a land that no one would hear. But, she was limited to the span inside her head. She just screamed and screamed and screamed. She hadn't known how long she stayed like that, it was as if time no longer mattered. That was until the door clicked to disengage the lock and she lifted her head abruptly, quick to use her sleeves to wipe away the stray tears from her cheeks with a pounding heart. It was that same officer, opening the door and pushing it further for a woman. She looked young, not as young as her, but young. Hair was blonde and curled around her head, wearing a respectable button-down and a pair of constricting pants.

"You must be Blakelyn Collins" she smiled, and Blake didn't know why it unnerved her so much. "My name is Gracy, I'm the representative of the group home, it's nice to meet you" Blake didn't know what to think of this woman, she appeared nice, but it somehow came off as forced. Maybe little kids fell for it, thinking it was genuine. But, she was older, and she knew that just like she had to follow her niche, others had to adapt themselves for their own. She didn't hold it against the woman, it would be like acting like a hypocrite if she did.

Blake just got up from her chair, fluffing out her coat and doing what she was told. She couldn't look at the other officers as she walked past them, following this stranger. She just kept her head low, as the submissive she was. Everyone here thought she was just some stupid, mindless child that needed guidance from those older than her, as if age actually gave you any sort of real wisdom. No matter age, we're all in a flux of having no idea who we are or why we're here, we just pretend. The cold was harsh on her cheeks as the wind blew the moment they stepped outside. This woman didn't have a coat, and she didn't know why but didn't bother to ask. She was led to a red van, and the back door opened for her. She crawled in, watching her head and slamming the door behind her. The woman, Gracy, got into the driver's seat, and pulled them out of the parking lot, driving down the road in an uneven silence. That was, until she spoke.

"You'll be going to the same school as you were before, the only real change in your life will be where you go home to" she sounded as if it was so simple, that it was so easy. Blake's home was everything to her, the one place on this entire earth she felt like she actually belonged, at least to a certain extent. And the powers of the state had just ripped her right out of it, seemingly for no reason. She was as unstable as it was, without her home being a factor. "A bag of your things has already been delivered to the house by your foster father, as well as your medication" she perked up at that. Are these people going to actually make me take those pills?!

"There are no electronics allowed, you are not allowed to leave the house with permission, and when you are at school, you are not allowed to leave the building under any circumstances. You must get along with the other girls, that isn't in question-" Blake could feel her hands start to shake "Those are our rules, follow them and you'll be fine. But, if you don't-" she closed her eyes, trying to control herself "You will be punished, do you understand?" she asked.

"Y-yes" she spoke quickly

"Good"