Chapter 3.5

Reminder: This is a book preview and only contains the first five chapters. My chapters are pretty long, so I've broken them down into sections. I hope you enjoy! Feel free to comment but no hate, please. Be mindful of trigger warnings in the Authors Note.

Crossroads Café was on the main strip downtown. It was a nice sized place with a bar in the center of the restaurant and along the storefront windows, a group of booths on the back wall, tables everywhere in between, and a patio for outdoor meals. It was busy when Collin, Jackie, and Ginger arrived at eight that morning.

Collin took a seat at one of the tables on the patio. "Okay, ladies, we'll eat breakfast, then you two can head out tado the research, while I hang out here ta talk ta the client. We'll meet back at the motel when you get done."

Ginger sat down and whined, "Why do we always get the boring job?"

"Ginger, he's the boss. It's his job to give us the crap work. Besides, you know you love research." Jackie sat down across from Collin.

"You two are a handful, you know that?"

"Yes, we do." Jackie smiled at Collin and picked up the menu.

Ginger picked up a menu and flipped through it, half-heartedly. "I take it you two are done fighting."

"Depends on whether he can keep his nose out of my personal affairs."

"As long as it doesn't affect the job, I'll stay out of it. I did apologize, Jackie."

"That's the only reason we're having this conversation. I know what I want to eat, what about you guys?" She put the menu down on the table.

"Way to change the subject," Ginger said laughing. "What are you going to get?"

"Strawberry pancakes."

"Since when do you eat strawberry pancakes?"

"Does it really matter? If she wants ta eat pancakes, she can have pancakes."

Ginger ignored his obvious attempt to steer her away from her line of questioning. "Mm-hmm. So, did this strange craving start about two days ago?"

"Maybe."

"Ginger, why don't you concentrate on what you want ta eat and leave this conversation for when the two of you are alone. I know too much about your private lives, as it is."

"That's really funny, Collin, because I thought you liked knowing about our private lives. You know, if you had one of your own, you'd be less worried about what everyone else was up to."

"Don't be a bitch, Ginger! Collin takes this job very seriously. He's just protecting his investment."

"I wasn't being a bitch. I was about to proposition him for later."

Collin gave Ginger an annoyed, stern look and replied, "I don't sleep with my co-workers, Ginger. You know that."

"Your loss. Oh, well, looks like I'm going out tonight."

Jackie was appalled at her friend. "We really need to talk, Ginger." Ginger could be outspoken at times, but she had never known her to be this flagrant. "Tonight!"

She saw the look on her friend's face and replied, "I'm going out. You know, I'm not all that hungry. I think I'll head on to the library." She stood up to leave. "I'll see you later." She turned and walked off.

"Ginger. Ginger!" Jackie got up from the table. "Collin, order for me, please." She followed Ginger, catching up to her at the corner. "Ginger!" Jackie grabbed her by the arm and turned her around. "What in the hell is wrong with you?"

"What? I was just messing around, Jackie. I knew he would say no."

"No, you weren't. I know you, and you were serious. After everything you told me last night, I thought you might actually take things a little more seriously."

"All I told you was that I slept with Hawk."

"You told me that you cared about him and didn't want to hurt him, anymore."

"Yeah, Jackie, I care about him... as a friend. I never said anything about developing a relationship with him. I don't want to take his life from him again, that's all!"

"Are you completely blind, or just stupid? He didn't stop seeing people because you wouldn't let him have anyone else; he stopped seeing them because he's in love with you, and he knew he would never get over you."

"You don't know what you're talking about! I'm going to work, and then I'm going out. Don't expect me back until morning." Ginger turned around and walked off.

"Damn it!" Jackie watched her until she was out of sight, then went back to the café to eat. She sat down and said, "I'm sorry, Collin. I don't know why she did that."

"She's playing a dangerous game, Jackie."

"I know. She's not usually this depraved. I tried to talk to her, but she doesn't want to listen. I'm worried that she might do something reckless, Collin. I know you don't want to bring the guys in until tomorrow, but I think Hawk is the only one she'll listen to. He's her best friend."

"Normally, I'd be against it but under the circumstances, I think you're right. If she got hurt when I could've prevented it, I don't think I could live with myself. I'll go call them."

"Thank you, Collin. She may be messed up but she's my best friend." She watched him get up and walk to a quiet spot halfway down the block to make the call. He was only gone a few minutes before coming back to the table.

He sat down just as the waitress brought out their food. He thanked her, then turned to Jackie. "I called Han, but I didn't give any specifics. You can talk ta Hawk tonight when they get here."

"Sounds good."