Chapter 9

Once he got into the car, he knew he was done. He couldn't hold back the tears anymore and they spilled down his cheeks. 

"Angel," Emmet's hands were on his cheeks, turning his face to look at him. "What's wrong?"

Angel shook his head, pulling away but Emmet didn't let him go. "My life's over," he sobbed and let everything spill. He told Emmet about the shared nights between him and Reese, the way Reese would tell him over and over again that they were just friends, how Angel's feeling's grew until he realized he was in love with him, up to the fight they just had tonight. Angel was too lost in his own sorrow to notice that way Emmet's face darkened. 

He pulled Angel to his chest, neither of them noticing the awkward position in the car. "Angel, I want you to listen to me. None of that was your fault, okay? Reese was in the wrong. He treated you like garbage and you deserve better than that."

"But maybe I don't," he pulled away with a sniffle. "I treated your friends like shit. How can you look at me and tell me I don't deserve everything I got?"

"Because no one deserves to be treated like that. And the difference between you and Reese is that you feel bad about it, right?"

Angel nodded.

"Look, if you don't want to play tonight, I understand. You just went through a lot and-"

"No." Angel stopped him. "I'll play. Playing is one of the few times I feel truly happy. I think it'll help."

"Are you sure?" 

Angel nodded. "Let's go." 

~

Emmet took Angel over to his house so they could change and get ready while they waited for Aaron to pick them up. Since Aaron had his own van, large enough to fit them all plus whatever instruments they needed, it was decided that he was their go-to guy when it came to transportation to a gig. 

It wasn't until later that evening that Aaron arrived. Jacey was already sitting up front so Emmet and Angel climbed in the back. 

"Where's this at, anyway?" Angel asked.

"Not too far," said Emmet. "It's at this new virgin pub that just opened up."

"Virgin pub?"

"Yeah, it's like a bar but for minors. They serve cocktails and stuff but without the alcohol." Jacey explained. 

"What's the point?" Angel asked.

"It's so younger people can have a place to go to share drinks, dance and stuff since they don't have a lot of places down here for anyone under nineteen to really hangout or do stuff."

Angel nodded, both nervous and excited. This was good. It gave himself something to think about to keep his mind off Reese. He just had to keep himself busy for the rest of the weekend then he'll have to face whatever Reese is planning to throw his way Monday.

The van stopped and Angel realized they were there. The place was all lit up with a blue neon sign that said 'Lesley's Leisure House' along with a purple cocktail glass. 

The group parked out back and started unloading their gear. Aaron knocked on the back door and a man dressed like a security guard opened the door. He asked them to confirm their identity's before letting them inside. Since the place was new, they didn't want to take any chances. 

Inside, they were immediately directed in the back, up a couple of stairs and onto the stage area. The curtains were open and Angel got a good look around the place. It had a few pool tables and a ping pong table in the corner and one side had rows of bar tables. The middle was left open for dancing and the actual bar area had drinks lining the walls categorized by their colour. Stools were pushed under the bar so people could also sit there if they wanted. Angel had never been in a bar but this is exactly what he would think one would look like.