Chapter Three - Rose de Gilmore

Start from the beginning

"This child of mine, Rose de Gilmore, such a lovely name innit?" She spoke. "Rose de Gilmore, a child to be born by next moon."

It was strange, her words. I haven't a clue why she told me her child's name or the time she would be born. The Wolves didn't like that she spoke either and dragged her along, her voice echoing as she repeated herself.

"Rose de Gilmore, my child will be born by next moon."

__________

That night I was given another metal cup of water and stale bread. This time I was given cheese with it that smelled awful and looked moldy. I chewed on the hard bread and drank the water -deciding it's best to not eat the moldy cheese- savoring it as it soothed my throat. It wasn't long after that I was asleep and dreaming of memories.

It was a mixture of my joyful times and sorrowful times, but there was one dream that wasn't a memory. It was distorted. The images came randomly, bright, yet unclear. All except one image, a curtain fluttering in a gentle breeze from an open window, golden sunlight, and the distinct feeling of pressure against my lips. A pressure that took my breath and warmed my chest.

By the third morning, I awoke with a stiffness in my neck that caused a hiss of air to escape through my teeth and chapped lips. I moved from the awkward position I must have transitioned into while sleeping. I rolled my neck to one side slowly, then to the other to work out the tightness. It wasn't uncommon for me to get this knot in my neck, sleeping uncomfortably on a lumpy solid mattress was about the same as sleeping in this stone cell.

Once the knot was loosened, I used the iron bars to hoist myself up and made my way to a dark corner where a bucket sat. My nose wrinkled as I wiggled my jeans down to relieve the pressure in my bladder. I hated that I was doing this in a bucket rather than a toilet. It was unsanitary, but I'm sure the Wolves didn't care. My jaw clenched as I finished, making my way back to the corner near the bars, nestling close to it. 

I must have dozed off because I was startled awake by a gruff voice, growling the words: "Get up."

My eyes snapped open to see two wolves looming over me, wolfish eyes narrowed. I didn't respond, nor did I move. The growl that rumbled in their throat, threatening me, did nothing to sway me. One reached down, gripping onto an arm, jerking me to stand. I bite my lower lip to stop the pained cry from slipping out. I wasn't gonna give them any satisfaction to hear my pain. Their roughness with me told me that's what they were seeking. 

I stumbled along as they escorted me from the cell, up stoned steps, to outside, where the sun was high in the cloudless sky. I squinted from the brightness as I am pulled down the steps to a black-haired man dressed in formal attire. He stood tall, head held high, wolfish eyes glowering down at me before darting between the two guards. 

"'Tis the girl," he asked, authority dripping from his words.

"Yes, this is her," the guard on my right confirmed.

"Andrew is a witness?" He asked sharply.

"Yes," the one on my left replied.

"Then, I guess there's nothing more, be sure that this wolf, Andrew, meets us there. I will not have him waiting," he said before looking at me with those wolfish eyes, nose wrinkling slightly. "You, Lenora Davis, will get your sentencing now."

And with that, he spun on his feet, walking toward a sleek black carriage attached to two large stallions. I blinked in surprise, not seeing a carriage before. I was used to seeing the metal vehicles the Wolves drive along their wide streets, but a carriage wasn't normally seen. Although, in the time spent in school, I learned that there was a mixture of old and modern ways in the Wolves' culture. It even leaked into the human district.

The Wolves pulled me along until we reached the opened carriage door. In an instant, my wrists are bound, rope biting into my skin, and I am tossed into the carriage. I quickly sat up as the black-haired man slipped in, banging on the carriage roof, and soon we jerked into motion. The black-haired man sat opposite me, his wolf eyes slowly observing me, and I openly stared back at him.

I wasn't afraid. 

I am not afraid.

"Where are you taking me?" I demanded.

He didn't respond, he stared at me. There were no emotions on his face, in his eyes. He was just like the rest of his kind. Then, he said something that surprised me, and for the first time, my heart faltered.

"You have an audience with the King, whom I heard you blatantly disrespected."

I wasn't sure if the falter in my heart was either a slither of fear or excitement. But, I knew one thing: seeing the King was something I wished for. I will speak my mind, voice what has been lost, and tell the Wolf King that his people and him should be wiped from this earth.

I leaned back, surprised by how relaxed I am, and how calm I answered him when I felt such a whirl of emotions.

"Then, you heard right."

I watched the Wolf across from me steadily, no expressions flickered across his face. All he gave was a 'hmm', and then, silence followed as the carriage continued along the wide road.

__________

Thanks for Reading!

Question: What's your favorite song? Or song you enjoy listening to now?

If there are any mistakes you spot while reading you can let me know!

Other than that, Vote, Comment, or click 'Add to library' for notification when another chapter is posted at YOUR will!

I moved over the weekend so my schedule for updating was out of order yesterday. But, here is Chapter Three. I hope you enjoyed it!

 I hope you enjoyed it!