Chapter One - Violator

THE WOMAN STARED at me with wolfish eyes, her anger not kindled, and neither was mine. As a worker, I offered her the best -forced- smile showing off my pearly whites, and spoke in a light, airy voice. Yet nothing I did was approved by this woman. It may have been the reason why I nicked her a few times or more, but I did apologize. So, that counts for something, right?

"My apologies, Miss Bledig," Mr. Waven said, shopowner, head bowing. "I can offer you a percentage off the dress, paying half price should do for your troubles?"

Miss Bledig, a woman close to her thirties, came to this shop often for fancy dresses and other attire that could catch the attention of a high-ranking wolf.

Or that's what she hoped.

If anything, I hoped for the same thing. So I wouldn't have to deal with her. She was too privileged, just like all of her kind. So free, so happy, while my kind was the opposite. I clutched the extra shiny blue fabric in my hands as the woman stared at me. She didn't intimidate me. None of her kind did.

Although they should intimidate me, scare me even. They were stronger, faster, and turned into something inhumane that couldn't be killed with a simple bullet or knife. However, I didn't fear them. I felt the opposite towards them.

I de-

A dull, sharp pain hit me in my side, snapped me from my thoughts, and I hurried, ducking my head, hoping that no emotions gave way. I had perfected keeping any emotions from flashing across my face, from showing in my eyes. Well, as best as I could. I can't say there aren't times when something is shown despite me trying to keep it hidden.

It was her triumphed 'hmph' that made me grind my teeth.

"I guess that will do," she said, her voice too high pitched and dripping with a fake sweetness that made my ears bleed. "Mr. Waven, I have been coming to your shop for years since I was a young pup. So, I wouldn't want to stop coming here, but if this..." her eyes burned into my bowed head. "Is the type of workers you associate with then... I may have to."

Her words hung in the air, causing my heart to squeeze, yet anger ignited in my veins. I couldn't lose this job, not another one. This was a good-paying job, and Mrs. Gene -from down the hall- put in a good word for me. I had this job for less than three months, I couldn't let it be taken away from me. I let my anger blind me, my adolescent rebellion taking the front seat. I inhaled, thinking about my mother whose sitting at home resting her hands and eyes. She was let go from her job after many mistakes in her work. Her eyes aren't as good anymore, and neither are her hands.

The years of working in beading factories, staring through a magnifying glass, and using a tool that kept her hand in the same position for hours left her finger cramped and eyes useless. I bowed my head deeply, keeping in mind my mother, repeating, 'This is for my mother,' as the words that tumbled from my lips felt sickening.

"Mrs. Bledig, I am sorry for my incompetence, I am new to this needlework and am trying my best. If my work is not to your liking, I am sorry," I squeaked out, voice shaking not in fear, but it might as well be. "If... If you must take money from my pay, please do so! But... please... I beg of you, let me stay on this job. I am incompetent, but I am learning!"

I held tighter to the fabric in my hands, feeling it crinkle in my hold. There were tears behind my closed eyelids, my heart beating quickly and chest heaving. This could all be mistaken for feeling panicky and not disgusted by the words coming from me. There was a moment of silence. I didn't dare look up.

"I see she knows she's incompetent, " Mrs. Bledig spoke in a -matter-of-fact- manner. "Then, I apologize to you, Mr. Waven. I should have realized that human was just an incompetent, foolish young thing," I bite my tongue. "I would like to pay for this dress now."