CHAPTER EIGHT. A LESSON IN FINITE LOVE

( CHAPTER EIGHT && A LESSON IN FINITE LOVE )

to forget the ones you loved most

"THE INJURY THAT SHE HAS SUSTAINED CAUSED TRAUMA... HENCE WHY LADY GUNNHILDR IS UNABLE TO RECALL ANYTHING."

THE HEALERS EXPLAINED the circumstances as delicately as possible, understanding that there was a lot of ground to cover and there was more than what Diluc and Kaeya was letting on in terms of what had happened to you. Yet in spite of the professionalism and delicacy of the healers, the two of them took the news heavily. No matter how hard they wished the news to be nothing more than lies, the severity of the situation was hard to swallow.

You sat there blankly, looking worriedly at the healers but not for your own sake— but rather for the sake of the two men who sat on each side of you. Kaeya, who was on your left, was supposedly your best friend prior to the accident and Diluc, your supposed fiancé on your right. Despite their attempts to refresh your memories of past events, nothing resurfaced. Not even the faces of your supposed sisters did anything to jog your foggy mind.

To have woken up surrounded by those you did not recognize alarmed you but to have been briefed on everything that supposedly happened prior to this 'accident' all at once was another whirlwind task. It made you nauseous, terribly so. Especially when you're told the fact that the reason why the 'accident' had occurred was due to high-strung emotions and a displacement of love. For you now, a blank shell of your former self— it was all tantamount to another headache.

"Lady Gunnhildr."

The healers were addressing you by your title, that of which you felt no association to. Much to your chagrin, nothing they said nor did helped you recall past events. As of any recurring symptoms, the throbbing in your head had gone away but under intense questioning, it always returned. Along with that awful ringing that accompanied your painful headache.

You looked up from your lap, frowning as they began to inch closer to you— these unfamiliar faces blurred the longer you stared at them; their words began to fade as the ringing started to grow louder. Waves of nausea caused you to gag, your hands clutched the sides of your head as you tried to shake away the sharp yet heavy sensation.

"Stop..." You pressed your eyelids shut, still seeing their blurred faces in the darkness as you began to hyperventilate. You felt a hand touch you, causing you to flinch and pull away. Unfamiliarity initiated your fight or flight senses almost automatically, moving as though you were on autopilot. With every heaving breath you took, you felt like your lungs were being filled with water— weighing you down until you were drowning again...

(Again?)

Muffled voices echoed in your mind, only serving to further intensify your headache. Pounding rhythmically, you tried to force the faces and muffled echoes from your mind— attempting to shield yourself before you heard what vaguely sounded like a doorslam. Silence followed yet it did little to calm your nerves; the sensitivity of your senses only intensified when you opened your eyes once more.