CHAPTER 17: Progress

Start from the beginning

Her small frame fits perfectly in my arms and that damn good smell of her shampoo has me whipped.

I could hold her all day and I wouldn't get tired.

So I made a decision. As soon as I take over the company after the business party I will ask her out and go all in without refrain.

I'll be free of other concerns by then and I'll be able to give her my whole attention.

The idea excites me so much that I even know the perfect place to take her.

"Do you think that is possible?" I asked my lawyer two days before the business party.

My lawyer Alex was my mother's lawyer and I've been keeping him by my side ever since I got into the business.

My father wanted to get rid of him but I managed to keep him.

He was the only one who knew about my plan and the only one who knew about my hidden card.

After my mother's death when he read the will, my father got hold of the business as the main shareholder with a total of 50% of shares in the company.

I had inherited 25% and the rest was given to other investors. Felipe has 12% making him the third most important person in the company. Mariano has 7% shares and the remaining 6% was given to two employees. More precisely, my father's secretary and the company's lawyer.

My father got that much because he took my mother's other 25%. He managed to fool everyone because back then I was young and unqualified to manage the business.

So Alex and I were discussing the best way to get the majority of shareholders by my side.

He suggested holding an emergency meeting right after the party.

"You can do it now. Especially since your father's behavior has become questionable in the past months. He has been neglecting his work a lot and the investors have been noticing that." He was right. My father's behavior has been questionable in the past years in fact but more questionable recently.

"If you close the deal with Mariano you'll have 32% shares. Felipe is already by your side which makes it 44% and with our hidden card you'll have 69%. The other 6% could be useful but not essential. Once you have all of that we'll be able to strip your father of his current position."

I was planning to crush him hard. Make him stuffer and see him crumble.

He'll lose his position, his love, and his possessions by the end of the month.

I was terrified and thrilled at the same time. The joy of seeing suffering gave me enough strength to keep going.

I was left speechless at the business party. More precisely, Sophia left me speechless.

Her dark blue dress hugged her body in the right places. She looked gorgeous and I had this urge to hide her away from everyone.

She curled her short hair and put on more makeup than usual. Nothing too over the top. Just perfect.

"You look beautiful" I couldn't stop myself from saying those words and the huge blush that appeared on her face was worth it.

We walked alongside the entire time and casually talked with people I knew.

I introduced her to some customers and then I took her to where Felipe and his wife were.

"Sophia, you came!" Felipe said excitedly. He really got fond of her in the past months and I couldn't blame him. She is that lovely.

His wife, Tatiana, is a beautiful woman despite her age. Light brown hair and brown eyes. Few visible wrinkles and a very warm smile.

She sometimes reminded me of my mother in the way she spoke and treated others.

"So, you like her now?" Felipe asked me while the two ladies were lost in conversation. He asked me the first day he met her if there was something between us.

"I do, is it obvious?" I asked, feeling a bit shy all of the sudden.

"To those who've been in love before it is. But I think you no longer care if it's obvious or not. Am I mistaken?" He asked, giving me a suggestive look.

"You're not mistaken. In fact, I plan to ask her out!" I admitted while looking at her. Damn, she was beautiful that night.

Imagine how she'll look in a wedding dress! I had to refrain from my thoughts going too far.

But I had to admit that I was a lost man. She had me completely enchanted.

Later that night I took her to introduce her to Mariano.

We talked for a while and then I had to excuse myself for a few minutes to go to the bathroom.

Something I ate didn't settle well on my stomach so I told Sophia to wait for me and that I'll be right back.

I never thought that would be the biggest mistake of my life.