Immature

My feet crunched softly on the frost crisped leaves blanketing the autumn ground, "Do I Wanna Know?" rising in a soft hum from my lips, thrumming in my throat. Out of the corner of my eye I spotted two figures silhouetted in the falling dusk. A deep voice rumbled and a softer one murmured in reply, I wandered closer aimlessly, my hands stuck in my jeans pockets, the tune slowly falling from mind. The silhouettes took form, artificial light creating a halo in the flyaway hairs of a girl and defining the lips and nose of a man. Their conversation stopped abruptly, Ari bounced up from her heels, her hands in the pocket of her thin cargo jacket, her breath rising in steamy plumes from her parted lips. The mans head turned slightly, and then down to the ground, as if ashamed, his nose dipping towards the ground.

"Ari?" The word caught in my throat and escaped as a hoarse whisper.

"Let's go Tony."

"Who is he?"

Her head turned towards the man still seated on the ground, his back slumped in defeat. Her eyes closed briefly and a nervous gulp visibly slid its way down her slim throat.

"It doesn't matter."

"Ari-"

"Come on."

She grabbed my hand and began to tug me away, her grip like a hawks talons, anxiously trying to move backwards, away from the mystery man. I slipped my hand from hers and angrily stomped towards the slumped figure, I grabbed him by the collar of his shirt, hoisting him to his feet, his eyes shot open then, the irises of his green eyes flashing with streaks of crimson. His hand grasped my shirt in a bunch at my chest and he shoved me backward, I landed on the packed earth, expelling oxygen quickly from my lungs that left me momentarily breathless. He glared down at me, his fists clenching and unclenching at his sides. I stared up helplessly, supporting myself on my elbows.

"I hate you. But she chose you, and that was my fault."

Ari took a cautious step forward and Brian held up his hand to stop her. "I'm not done yet." He turned back to me, "I wish she was mine, but she's not, but I swear to god if you EVER hurt her I will hunt you down and kill you myself."

I stood slowly, afraid to anger the beast before me. His chest rose and fell with the exertion of his words, liquid glinted at the corners of his eyes where they gathered.

"Do you understand?"

I nodded, confused, he had hurt her, he had hurt my Ari, yet he was threatening me, I clenched my jaw together, my anger rising. The image of her breathlessly running from the door of our bunk, her legs carrying her further away from Brian and closer to me, hiding in the brush like a creature of the night.

"I said, do you understand?" He took a step closer to me.

"You hurt her, you sick son of a bitch, leave right now." I took a step towards him. "Leave now."

He sneered, his white teeth gleaming in the dark, "No. Tell me you understand and I'll leave."

"I will not 'understand', you have no part in her life, you're dead to her, to us."

"You little-" He lunged forward and I stopped him with my hand planted firmly on his chest, a knife raised to the soft hollow of his throat. I pushed the blade in, drawing a thin line of blood that pooled and dripped in thick ruby streams down to his chest. I smiled, feeling my fangs slide out, the points coming to rest on my lower lip. Fear clouded his angered eyes, he back pedaled, losing balance as he did so, nearly falling over.

"Apologize and tell me you will never talk to her again."

Ari butted in then, her nose turned indignantly upward. "I can control my own life, thank you very much. Neither of you will speak ever again-" She turned to me, "You will never threaten or lay your hands on Brian", and then turned to Brian, "And you will never come near me again. If either of you disagree I will take you both down and make you pay."

Brian and I exchanged a glance, "But-"

"No buts." She threatened. "Both of you leave, you're pissing me off and you're acting like immature children." She shooed us away like bugs, dead serious.

"Ari?"

"Stop it Tony, no arguments allowed. No more fighting, no more threats, nothing. I'm done."

Taken aback me and Brian turned, stunned and confused, and began walking back towards the plane.

--

I crept out of my bed and quietly crept over to Ari's sleeping form.

"Ari." I gently touched her warm shoulder.

She turned, obviously not having fallen asleep yet, "Are you really mad at me?"

She sighed. "You and Brian are fools, but I love you, so no."

I smiled and gently reached down and cradled her cheek in my hand.

She gazed up at me, her lips turning upward in a blissful smile, her eyes fluttering closed. She opened them slightly and slid back, holding up the blankets, "Come here."

I slid into the blankets and cuddled up against her, her head laying gently on my bare chest, my face buried in her hair.

"You're really not mad?" I murmured.

She tilted her head up and studied me, "I could never be mad at you."

Her hand reached up to the back of my head and pulled me closer for a soft kiss, she buried herself into my chest and quickly fell asleep, her steady breathing music to my ears. I stared down at her, her lashes resting gently on her cheeks, her hair spread out in a wave around her head, her perfection, her beauty.

I smiled, suddenly so happy to be alive and settled down beside her, my arms wrapped around her waist and shoulders, tugging her closer.

As I drifted off I spotted a small smile forming on her peacefully resting face.

Thank you to all my wonderful, amazing, awesome readers who are sticking with me! I know I said three weeks but the school work when I got home filled up all my time, so I'm very sorry! But I'm back! And I will try to write regularly. Thank you all so much (:

Oh, and for all of those action lovers, I apologize, it will get more interesting soon, you should be happier next chapter (;