Silence is a Blessing

I found the picture above on Pinterest. I loved it and it fits well with this chapter (think of Ari and Tony), anyways, very cool art, I felt the need to share it. Enjoy!

Ari

The sun kissed my bare shoulders, the breeze tickled my face, salt burned on my lips. I rested in Tony's strong arms, his chin nestled in my hair. He shifted beneath me and I opened my eyes.

"Hey there." He slurred sleepily.

"Hello." I smile, my arm still slung across his chest.

"We should probably go back before we miss dinner."

"Mmmm, I suppose."

We stand slowly, arching our backs and stifling lazy yawns. The amber rock burns beneath my feet, small sharp shards pricking my heels. Tony glided over to the edge of the precipice, his shaggy hair falling over his eyes as he peered down into the transparent water below.

"Ready?" He questioned, turning back to look at me.

"Not really."

Smiling I grasped his hand and we dove off the cliff. The air rushed through my hair, strands billowing out behind me, I hit the cool water with a splash, the ocean engulfing me in its kind arms.

We swam back to the island, passing over the shadowy reefs below us. We clambered onto shore, water dripping from our eyelashes. Julianna ran to Tony, her arms flung out in a hug. He scooped her up and spun her around, sand flying from his feet. She shrieked in laughter and allowed herself to be set atop his shoulders.

A small smile escaped my lips as I trailed closely behind, placing my feet in Tony's large footprints as we made our way back to The Reformatory. The wet sand squished between my toes and turned flawlessly into packed dirt as we entered the forest.

Bugs swarmed in the air, sweet fragrances filled my nose, vibrantly colored blossoms caught my attention as I walked down the path. The sun had begun to set, casting a yellow hue over the jungle leaves. Large palm fronds held hints of orange and gold in their veins, matching streaks lit up in Tony's raven hair.

---

I was settled on the couch, my knees close to my chest propping up my book. Everyone else lay asleep or talking in their rooms. Humming quietly to myself I flipped through the pages studying the colorful illustrations that depicted famous wars and warriors.

Annoyed, I flip my damp hair off my shoulders, dark patches of water marking the cloth on my shoulders. I curl up in a tighter ball, warding off the cold that penetrated the room at night. The door stood open at the front of the hub, allowing a small breeze to ruffle the pages of the book. Salt and the sound of humming insects reached me through the door, bringing back memories from home, my windows open, the Maine breeze catching in my curtains, the thin cloth billowing in my room, the soft buzz of grasshoppers and peeps of frogs in ponds lulling me to sleep.

A body sunk the cushions at my feet and I looked up, the movement abruptly halting my tune. Brian sat at my feet, a devious gleam in his eyes. He gently picked up my feet and set them on his lap as he turned to set his legs up along the couch beside mine. He sat silently for a moment, as I curiously stared back at him.

"Why do you hate me?" He whispered, a pout forming on his thick lips.

I sighed. "I don't hate you, it's just that, well..." I trail off and lower my eyes, gazing at my nervously fluttering hands, dog earing the corners of the pages.

"What?" He moves closer to me, his breath on my neck, his hands coming to rest on my thighs.

"I have a boyfriend at home, and at first I wouldn't let myself betray him, but...what if we can never go home?"

He smiled at that, "So you do love me."

"No, I don't love you, but I won't, I can't, push you away anymore." My breath caught in my throat.

His smile broadened, holding a glimpse of hunger and danger. He licked his lips and leaned towards me. I allowed him to press his lips onto mine, the hum of the insects dissappeared, drowned out by the feeling of his hands tangled in my hair, his mouth moving on mine. He tugged at my hair, pulling himself closer to me. I drowned in the feeling, one hand on his chest, the other at his neck. I pulled him down with me onto the couch. A smile forming on my mouth beneath his searching lips.

---

I woke on the couch, my head resting on Brian's shoulder, his soft snores moving in time with the rise and fall of his chest. Kissing him on the cheek I untangled myself from his arms and padded softly over to the kitchen. A digital clock on the oven read 5:33. I rummaged in the cupboard for peanut butter to dip the bitter apples into, triumphant I turned around with a small cheer and stopped short. Tony sat at the table, his eyes rimmed with red, his face in his hands.

"Tony?"

"Don't talk to me." He growled, raising his swollen eyes to mine.

"Tony, I, I swear, nothing happened. I would never let anything happen."

"You still care about him."

'No, Tony, I -"

"Don't even, I don't want to hear it." He pushed his chair back, the loud noise it emitted waking Brian. He stalked away, his arms folded angrily across his chest.

It suddenly dawned on me, all that time I saw him as a protective older brother, he hadn't see me the same way. Teary eyed I shakily cut up the apple, the knife slipping and slicing my finger. I swore and held my finger, applying pressure to stop the crimson blood flowing freely down my index finger. Arms wrapped around my waist and I turned my head to the side, resting my face on the broad shoulder.

"What's wrong?"

I only shook my head in response, stifling sobs.

His chin rested in my hair, his arms tightening comfortingly. The silence was a blessing.

Whew, that was a lot of writing for one week! I hope you all enjoyed it! Comment and vote please my wonderful fellow human beings.