19| CONCERT IN A CAN

Start from the beginning

"What do you recommend?" Marcus wondered.

"Uh, you might be on your own on that one. It really depends on what you eat." She replied, unhooking their arms and went to get her lunch.

Harper was the first to sit down at a table after waiting in the lunch line. She ate in peace as she waited for her friends to sit next to her, the lunch line was packed with students just leaving class.

Marcus was in line chatting with Adam and Chase as Leo was pushed to the back of the line from the herd of students.

Adam, Chase and Marcus set their trays on the table and took their seats.

"So, me and my dad moved around a lot. I was home-schooled for most of my life." Marcus explained.

Adam smiled widely. "No way. So were we. We are so similar! Do you have a third nipple too?"

Harper stopped chewing on her chips, glanced at Chase across from her and they pursed their lips.

"Anyway...." Chase trailed off. "That's a pretty sweet guitar Marcus."

"Yeah, and you're a natural bro." Marcus complimented. "Guys, we should start a band!"

"Oh, that's a great idea!" Adam exclaimed excitedly as he tapped his chopsticks on the table to a rhythm. "But what would I play? Oh! I got it." He paused and scratched his head with the chopsticks. "No, I don't got it."

Marcus furrowed his eyebrows. "I think you're gonna be our drummer, Adam."

"Mm, interesting choice. I've been pondering the French horn." He said.

"What about you, Harper? You in?" Marcus asked.

Harper smiled softly. "Oh, no thanks. I don't really play any instruments."

Leo strolled to the table and took a seat next to Harper.

"Hey, Leo. Guess what? Marcus and Adam and I are forming a band." Chase informed him excitedly.

"Well, you guys just met. Don't you think it's a little soon?" Leo questioned.

Chase scoffed. "A little soon for what? Taking the deeply committed step of jamming together?"

Harper continued to eat her lunch and reached out to grab the can of soda to drink.

"Now if we could just find someplace to practice." Marcus told them. "I live in a pretty small place, so-"

"I know a place. The Lab." Adam announced, shooting up from his seat. Chase smacked the table, choking on his drink. Leo's eyes widened and coughed. Harper nearly choked on her drink and almost spat it out. "Oh, l-Labrador retriever park. Yeah, the dog park. Nice acoustics. Plus, they have dogs." He then leaned towards Chase. "Saved it."

"Well, you four have fun. I'm gonna head to my next class." Harper said. She stood up, grabbed her schoolbag off the ground and slung it over her shoulder.

As she walked out of the cafeteria, Marcus couldn't help but let his eyes follow her figure. He liked that she was an independent woman who can tackle any situation in her life. He liked the way she talked, smiled and helped people when they needed it.

Everyone has a crush; it's normal to have feelings towards the opposite gender.

••••

After school, Harper walked over to the Davenport mansion to retrieve her forgotten notebook. As she approached the front door, she heard the sound of guitars and drums coming from inside.

Opening the door, she saw Marcus and Chase playing guitars with Adam on the drums in the living room. Marcus smiled at her as he continued to play.

She noticed Leo sneaking through the living room, peeking through a set of plants. The boys finished playing and exchanged smiles.