Merlin's Lady Friend?

All around me people were making merry. The knights were laughing and drinking plentiful amounts of wine to my right, Arthur now among them, telling some gaudy tail. He only ever told those when drunk, or at least tipsy.

Other Nobles were dancing to the left of the hall, even Uther was spinning a pretty middle-aged noble women across the floor. The king was actually having a good time, an almost imperceptible smile on his stony face.

Across the room Gwen was waving at me, Lancelot by her side. They looked happy, in love. Why couldn't I have that?

"Merlin?"

"Yes Gwaine?"

"Have you got any more wine in that pitcher?"

Chuckling I walk over to the group of Camelot's Finest Knights. The protectors of the land. Mighty hero's. All of which were more or less drunk. Very drunk. I fill their goblets half way, not wanting to give them too much. The last of the pitcher is poured into Arthur's goblet. He may have got a bit more than everyone else. . .

"It's good isn't it men?" Gwaine asks his fellow knight's, who all agree with 'aye's'. "Isn't it Merlin?"

"I'm sure it is." I reply awkwardly, face blank.

"You haven't had any have you?" Leon says like a confession, in realization.

"Can't say I have."

"That's preposterous! It's the winter feast, you deserve to relax and drink!" Gwaine says boisterously from his seat.

"I'm a servant, here to serve. Nothing else." I reply solemnly, silently wishing I could partake in the feast for nothing more than to spend time with my friends - my family.

"Drink mine Merlin." Arthur surprises everyone by saying. "I give you the rest of the night off. Come, spend time with friends." Behind Arthur's eyes there is an undecipherable emotion, one that I have never seen before.

"But -"

"Sit Merlin. Relax. You've been running around like a chicken without a head for hours. You're done now." Arthur commands me softly.

I sit between him and Gwaine, the only empty seat available. "Thank you." I reply so only Arthur can hear, the other knights back to talking. Arthur nods his head in acknowledgment before sliding his goblet right in front of where I lay my hands on the table. "That's yours Arthur, you drink it." I protest.

"Just do as I say Merlin."

"Since when do I ever listen to you?" I joke, earning me a soft slap, more of a caress, to the back of my head. Arthur smiles, as do I, before I take a sip of the sweet wine. It's strong, just the one sip is having an effect on me. A few more sips in and I'm giggling at all the knights stories, especially Gwaine's tavern ones.

The man causes such mischief.

" . . . and then she just slapped me across the face. No warning or 'nothing!" Gwaine recites as everyone else roars with laughter at his tale. "I was only returning the kiss!"

"Speaking of kissing, Merlin, your lady friend is standing under the mistletoe." Leon announces, procuring everyone's questioning glances at me. Sure enough, when I turn my head I see her, about twenty yards away under an odd bundle of mistletoe. She stands with her back against a pillar, pretending to not watch our group.

"What lady friend?" Percivals soft voice asks.

"No one important," I reply, "She isn't my lady friend, and I quite like it that way." Next to me I see Arthur giving a disapproving look to the magical maidservant, who smirks the smallest bit.