Chapter 2

"Isn't it obvious? If I wanna do something, then that's what I'll do!"

The girl's casual remark reminded Mei of the time when they'd visited Yuzu's father's grave.

Flashback:

"Your father passed away?"

"Yeah... when I was three", Yuzu smiled, though there were obvious traces of sadness visible in her expression. "He died 'cause of a heart condition", she added.

Mei didn't know what to say other than "I'm sorry". To be honest, she didn't expect for Yuzu to have dealt with something so serious and tragic in her past. Actually, she really didn't know much about Yuzu and her past at all.

"Ah! But it's not a sad thing!", Yuzu insisted, "He'd been living with it for most of his life so he was prepared for it. Thanks to him, he taught me to live my life to the fullest, with no regrets…". She said that last part with a small, reminiscent smile, her eyes were full of hope and determination. A face that the younger girl had never seen Yuzu wear. She felt a tinge of admiration and envy for the older girl.

Thinking back on it, it may have been the first time she felt respect for Yuzu. Though her rebellious nature was a handful at times, she was starting to understand her. Thanks to the blonde's reckless behaviour she finally found the resolve to work hard for herself and follow her own path. She was now determined to take over the academy and become the Aihara successor.

At the moment, both girls were walking back home after seeing Shou off at the airport. Mei didn't know where he'd be flying off to so she made a mental note of asking her step mother and writing him a letter this time. She glanced over at Yuzu, who was walking beside her while pushing the bike. Looking closer she noticed that Yuzu was pale and seemed tired. Though it was understandable since she rode the bike from the school all the way to the airport at top speed. What was strange though was that she was still panting.

"Yuzu, are you alright?", she tried not to sound too concerned.

"...Yeah, I'm fine", Yuzu managed in between laboured breaths. "Just not very athletic y'know?", she brushed it off with a lighthearted chuckle.

Even if the blonde wasn't very fit it didn't explain why she was still gasping for air as if she'd just run a marathon. "Here, let me", the younger girl offered. Instead of asking any further questions she took the bike from Yuzu and started pushing it in her stead.

*****

'Damn it. Calm down!', Yuzu tried to regulate her breathing. She turned over to glance at Mei, who, judging by the peaceful breathing, was already fast asleep next to her.

Yuzu had learned that Mei had a strange habit of kissing her at random times over the past few weeks. The blonde had had no romantic experience until she met Mei but even Yuzu could tell that the kiss they just had was… different. She couldn't quite put her finger on it and everytime she thought about it, it made her heart ache.

She got up from the bed and reached into her school bag, (Harumi dropped her bag off at her house after Yuzu borrowed her bike) where she had last left her medication. Being careful not to disturb Mei, she tiptoed out of their shared bedroom into the kitchen to get a glass of water.

"Yuzu? You're still awake?", the middle aged woman yawned.

"Sorry mom, didn't mean to wake you"