booby traps

"ERICA, DO YOU COPY?" Robin asked into the walkie talkie.

Ginny squished in beside Steve, Dustin, and Robin, on the same rooftop they were the night before. Erica got ready to climb into the vent at Scoops Ahoy. "Mm-hmm, I copy," she answered. "You nerds in position or what?"

Shaking her head, Ginny sighed. She loved Erica, but hated her at the same time. She hoped she wasn't about to die at the hands of evil Russians.

"Yeah, we're in position," Robin answered. "It's all quiet here, so you've got the green light."

"Green light, roger that. Commence Operation Child Endangerment."

Robin laughed lightly. "Can we maybe not call it that?"

"See you on the other side," Erica answered. She paused, then added, "Nerds."

Ginny bit her lip while they waited. Erica was going to crawl through the vents, into the room, and open the outside door for them. All they could do was wait.

Steve noticed her nervous expression and rubbed her back, until Erica's  voice came back in. "All right, nerds. I'm there."

Ginny breathed a sigh of relief. "Do you see anything?" Robin asked.

"Yeah, I see those boring boxes you're so excited about..."

"Any guards?"

"Negative."

"Booby traps?"

"If I could see them, they'd be pretty shit traps, wouldn't they?"

Ginny rolled her eyes, though a smile tugged on her lips.

"Thank you for that," Robin said, shaking her head.

A few seconds later, "I'm in."

Steve covered his face with his hands, muttering in relief, "Oh, God..."

Ginny laughed quietly, watching as the door opened below them and Erica emerged.

"Free samples. For. Life."

。・:*:・゚★ 。・:*:・゚

THEY FIRST OPENED AN IMPERIAL PANDA BOX. Steve used a pocket knife to cut the tape, lifting the flaps to let them all peer in.

Inside was a metal case with a handle on top. Sharing a nervous look with Ginny, Steve reached in and twisted the handle, releasing the top.

Inside the case were four hissing vials, each eith another handle on top. "That's definitely not Chinese food."

Steve went to pull out one of the large vials, then thought better of it, looking at them. "Uh, maybe you guys should, you know... Stand back."

Robin, Ginny, and Erica listened instantly. But Dustin shook his head. "No."

"Just step back, okay?" Steve tried to push him.

"No."

"Step back, seriously."

"NO. If you die, I die." Dustin set his face in a firm scowl.

Ginny shook her head and said, "Making me seem like a bad girlfriend here, Henderson."

Steve just shrugged. "Okay then."

He twisted the handle on one of the vials, releasing more ominous fog from the container. Inside the clear glass was an oozing bright green liquid.

"What the hell?" Steve muttered.

"What is that?" Robin said.

The room rumbled suddenly, and Ginny's breath caught. Earthquake? In the middle of Indiana?