"Yeah."

"And you be safe, you hear me? If you insist on fighting with Dumbledore - which I still think is a bad idea by the way - just ... be careful. Don't purposefully put yourself in harm's way."

"Same goes to you." Neoma felt tears sting her eyes once more as she wrapped her father into a hug. She could smell his aftershave and his clothes smelled like their house. 

"Bye Neoma. I love you." 

"Bye Dad. I love you too." 

Nicodemus pressed a morose kiss to her forehead before taking a step back. As Neoma prepared to apparate away, she took one final look at the man that raised her. His long hair was dull and now held more gray than black. His olive-toned skin looked ashen. His dark eyes held no sign of hope or happiness. 

Nicodemus Nott was a dead man. Maybe not physically - not yet - but his spirit was crushed and his soul was defeated. Neoma would never be able to erase that image from her mind. 

It took all of her strength to leave him there, but she eventually did. Just a few moments after she left her childhood home behind her feet connected with pavement, and she took a cautious glance around the alleyway to make sure that she hadn't been seen by any muggles. Her eyes were bloodshot and her cheeks were stained with tears. She probably looked crazy. 

When she stepped out from the alley, bags weighing her tired body down, a shoddy old building awaited her across the street. It was tucked between a muggle bookshop and record store. The place looked abandoned, but Neoma knew better. 

As soon as she opened the door, she was greeted with the sounds of laughter. Glasses clinked and the smell of food wafted through the air; it was a Friday evening at The Leaky Cauldron. 

Neoma checked into the small room that Dumbledore had arranged for her. She could still hear the bustling guests down stairs and the walls were thin; her neighbors were having a very good time. 

She dropped her bags on the ground and sat slowly onto her bed, which groaned beneath her weight. The springs were stiff, but at least the sheets were fresh.

--

Sirius and Remus were playing a game of exploding snap in the Potter's living room when an owl swooped in from an open window nearby. She hopped over to Sirius, hooting gently as she fluffed her wings. 

Remus gave him a questioning look, but Sirius shrugged as he took the letter from the unknown owl and promised her some food before opening it. 

Sirius,

I need a friend. I'm staying at The Leaky Cauldron - please come say hi. Give everyone my regards.

-Neoma

Remus frowned as he read over Sirius's shoulder. He was hurt that she hadn't reached out to him, but he supposed he couldn't be surprised. 

"Are you gonna go?" He asked, trying to hide the disappointment in his voice.

"Yeah - yeah. Of course." Sirius nodded, folding the letter back up. "If she's at The Leaky Cauldron that means ..."

"She said goodbye to her dad."

"Yeah."

The two sat in silence. Sirius eventually got up to get the owl a snack, leaving Remus alone. 

He'd been thinking about Neoma a lot recently. Dumbledore told them that they would have their first meeting on the third day of July. He told the Marauders that Neoma would be cutting all ties from the opposition before then, including her father. Remus was conflicted about the situation; on one hand he was happy that she would be officially away from that life - from her dad, who was a murderer. On the other hand, he knew how much she loved him.