44. ghosts from the past

I spot Zia in the crowd as soon as I make it out of the train. I walk —almost jog toward her, holding the bouquet of roses with both hands. I called her right after I read the note, right in the middle of a panic attack.

"Who gave you flowers?" She asks, genuinely confused. "What were you doing in DC?"

"I think someone is following me," I say as I look around. "I... I got a room and, I know it sounds stupid but Mrs. Hale suggested it and I was very tired, so I left the room for like ten minutes and when I got back these roses were there —"

"Wow, wait. Did you see Mrs. Hale? As in Melissa Hale's mother? Are you out of your mind?"

"Zia, focus, please. Someone left these in my room, with this note." I take the little piece of paper out of my purse and give it to her. "A reminder of what will happen if you don't mind your business?"

She seems even more confused. "The truth always comes out. Are they talking about your dad?"

I swallow hard. I never told Zia about my dad. I didn't tell anyone except for Lawrence.

"I'm sorry," she says. "I watched it on the news."

"This person was on the train, right?" I say, avoiding having to talk about my dad. "They must've followed me to DC. They know I talked to Mrs. Hale." I pause. I know what I'm about to say will make me sound as if I already lost my mind. "Zia, count the roses."

"What? Why?"

"There are sixty-eight roses in that bouquet. Not sixty, not seventy. Sixty-eight. Just like the number of stab wounds in Melissa's body. I think that's the message. That's what will happen to me if I don't mind my own business."

"You're being a bit too paranoid."

"No. I think Melissa's murderer is after me."

"We should take this to Lawerence," she says after a pause. "He will know what to do. We have to tell him what Preston found. We have to tell him about the doll, the roses, everything."

"He's going to fire me."

"At this point, Isabela, I'd rather you lose your job and not your life."

I blow out my cheeks. "Okay, but give me one more day. I promise I won't get in any more trouble."

	I haven't stopped getting calls from news channels all night; a part of me thinks it would be a good idea to give an interview, but Grandma asked me not to

I haven't stopped getting calls from news channels all night; a part of me thinks it would be a good idea to give an interview, but Grandma asked me not to. She believes it'll all go away soon.

Jasper called to let me know he might be coming home a bit later than usual —he and Lawrence had to meet Wesley. He said there was some progress regarding his case, but I have no idea what he meant by that. Meanwhile, I'm at his apartment, drinking coffee while I enjoy the view from the terrace, and holding myself because it's getting colder.