Chapter 14: Reform

Amantius finally brings Ingressus to his favourite hiding spot in Nestoria, but unbeknownst to Amantius, Ingressus has been here before.

A lifetime ago, it seemed...

And then, lost to time like the cliffside retreat, Ingressus finds a sign that he isn't sure how to decipher - or if he even *wants* to decipher it

Author's note: couple of notes:

1) angsty, of course. traumatised monster finds something that he sort of didn't want to but also kind of did in a space where he held the most treasured memories. there's gonna be some inner conflict and I couldn't help myself

2) as a result, the chapter is a tad longer than literally all the others; but sit through it and all will be fine

3) y'all may be familiar with a certain 'character' that appears in this chapter. it's the first time that she's ever explicitly named even tho almost everyone knew her name anyway. there's a reason for that XD

4) I did have an illustration idea for this, but I had to redraw it *so* many times. I got boi's blind eye wrong, I got his hair all messed up and then I decided that illustrating his scars was a little too much angst so I took those out. I kinda like how it turned out, but as always, there's just one or two things that are bugging me XD

5) 'a couple of notes' was a lie. happy reading XD

********************

"D-d-d-is is m-my favowite h-hiding spot!" Amantius pushed aside the shrubbery that disguised the edge of a short cliff with a grand gesture and twirled on the spot as he giddily jumped up and down in excitement.

It had taken them almost two days, but since Amantius had encountered Ingressus by the mine network, he had finally been able to show the Voltaris his favourite hiding spot in the south of the territory, very well hidden and secluded.

Ingressus knew that well.

"This is where you come to?" he asked, looking at each and every refined detail around him.

He didn't listen to Amantius' answer as he ran from side to side, excitedly introducing Ingressus to every single aspect that he liked about this area. In fact, for but a brief moment, Ingressus forgotten everything and everyone as he looked around by himself, running his fingertips along the ancient tree trunks, flicking the ageing moss from their bark, and planting his hand flat against their strength. He tugged at the few remaining leaves of the branches and watched them bounce back with resistance from his force. He shielded his eyes from the setting winter sun shining bright on the water by the shoreline below as it crashed against the rocky edge. He allowed a quivering smile as he spotted a small area of the ocean that splashed out of sync with the rest of it, for fish still jumped – even if infrequently – right as he expected them to, where he knew they would. He would know this place better than anyone, and until now, he knew of only one other person who did.

And he sat right on the edge of the grassy cliff edge with his legs dangling, swaying alternately; and he looked to his left – an empty space

And he sat right on the edge of the grassy cliff edge with his legs dangling, swaying alternately; and he looked to his left – an empty space. He looked to the aged grass that had stopped growing in weighted places, much like where he sat himself, and he laid a hand over that space. He couldn't hold his smile in the absence of the boy who would once sit beside him on that edge with a fishing rod in-hand – as he would, too – just mindlessly looking out to the sea and waiting for one of those jumping fish to take the bait at the end of the twisted line extending far beyond their reach from where they were. No words needed to be said out here. This was their place away from the village, away from any responsibilities, away from the other Ardoni.