Chapter 02 : Late = kick your brain to pieces

ابدأ من البداية

"Your uncle's restaurant is getting busier and he wants us to help him. Didn't you just resign from your job? He wants you to go over to help him."

"Help with what?" Lisa could not wrap her head around the situation.

"There are many dishwashers and waiters, but none of them are family. Your uncle is a chef in the kitchen, so he can't keep an eye on them at all. Your aunt passed away early, your cousin is still studying and is unable to offer any help. You go over and be a supervisor, keep an eye on the employees and make sure they do their work properly. It's that simple, the salary your uncle is giving is pretty thick, and includes food and lodging." From the way her father speaks, it's obvious he hopes she goes.

"That's right, Lily, didn't you study hotel management? It's just nice, you can go to your uncle's and gain experience. You can even go sightseeing in America, open your eyes to the world. Your dad and I think that it's a pretty good idea. Furthermore, your dad and I feel that, if you can get used to that place, you can try to find a suitable institution and get your master's degree there. That way, when you come back to look for a job, maybe you'd stop hitting pillars."

New York......it's actually New York?

Even though being a 'supervisor' in her uncle's small restaurant and the connection to whatever hotel management is a little farfetched, but she will be able to draw a salary and study, and to Lisa that has an allure. It's not that she doesn't understand her parents' expectations. Their real intention isn't for her to work at her uncle's but to use this opportunity to get a degree.

Their family has just finished paying up the mortgage loans and are marginally living comfortably, they can pay for her tuition fees but the stress of doing so may become too much. Her parents' intention is to pay for a portion and have the remaining be paid for by the salary that she earns from working at her uncle's.

New York...... that is the city that Song Yi Ran is going to.

Song Yi Ran didn't say how long he was going to be there, it may a year or two, maybe he'll end up staying there permanently.

Lisa had already mentally prepared herself to withdraw from Song Yi Ran's life, but now there's such an opportunity?

Is this the lottery from heaven or do the heavens want her to continue this kind of "worrying but happy" life with Song Yi Ran?

"Lily, there is no need to rush into making a decision, think carefully. If you are okay, your uncle will be your guarantor, and your visa issues should be fine."

"Okay, I'll think about it."

She is unable to sleep, tossing and turning about on her bed all night. All that is in her mind are thoughts of hers and Song Yi Ran's life in New York.

In her dreams, Song Yi Ran wears an ordinary pair of jeans and a t-shirt, walking with her, shoulder to shoulder through Broadway Street, walking slowly through Times Square, overlooking the statue of liberty, everything was so perfect to the point of ...... unrealism.

Her stomach was bloated to death, Lisa who had eaten too much had to get up to the bathroom to puke. As expected, sweet dreams are like eating too much, you can force it down, but there won't be a good ending.

The second day, while Lisa was researching everything related to New York in front of the computer, her phone rang.

Looking at the name on the screen, her steady heartbeat missed a beat.

"Hello? What's up?"

"It's so early and the unemployed young lady is already awake?"

Song Yi Ran's lazy and contended voice is like warm sunshine to Lisa's ears, her brain's reactions start becoming half a second slower.