제 30 과

At five, Jungwon snaps my attention out of the movie we've been watching since we arrived at his place, stating he should too help Jay with the party.

"I told him I'll be there at five—all of us are to."

The bewilderment hits me negatively. If we are to leave early, what about Daisy?

"But I told Daisy to come here around seven so that we can go to the party together."

Jungwon halts in his actions for a moment then meets my eyes.
"Maybe text her the address. Jay's house isn't that hard to find." He shrugs and continues to rummage through his closet for a suitable coat.

"But..."
It would be bitchy of me to change the plan so suddenly, wouldn't it? But there seems to be no other way around.

So rather than a trifle text, I thought giving her a call would be more considerate and sincere. This time, Daisy picks up after two rings. Full on blithe, she says she just got out of the shower.

But I interrupt apologetically.
"Daisy, would it be okay if I just text you the address and you come alone? Jungwon told me he has to go there in thirty minutes to help out the party stuffs."

I just tell what Jungwon told me but I'm doubtful what big preparations would be there if it's only a small party for ten to fifteen people.

The other line turns silent for a few moments to my anxious perception.

"Daisy?" I check if she heard me clearly.

"Yeah-yeah, it's fine. I know his house anyways. Do you want me to come now too?—to help them out?"

"Umm, I don't know—Jungwon said they would be out at the liquor and for food until the party. But I think it'd be best if you come at seven, you know, I don't want you to be awkward."

"Imm" she hums.

With a careful mind, I add, "just call me when you're about to get there, I'll come see you in."

"Okay." She quietly replies as if she has run out of words to say.

Saying goodbye with no negative thought, Daisy hangs up shortly after. And I go on with the rest of the evening assuming to see her in voguish panache and beautifully made up face at the party.

. . . . .

Jay's house is the best modernized place I've ever seen. Half of the places is the art of glass walls, half the paintings and pinterest-like classic furnishings in attractive white and brown. Everyone can know the glittering wealth of his family from their physical household but that 'everyone' can't be anyone, I realize. Apart from the seven guys I'm familiar with, there's several new faces; three guys and three girls all supposedly from the same polished society as the gang.

The girl Nina is a pixie-like but with angelic features to Jake's taste; she's said to be here through his invitation though the relationship between them is inconclusive. The other one is curvy Kimberley invited by Heeseung, who is on full sweats to as if to cover up those curves. There're two more guys from Heeseung's invitation. The tall, good-looking lads just like the birthday boy. The two dark-haired guys get along well the gang too. The last girl is Jay's cousin, Maureen who, with the exceptional blue eyes, gives the best impression of a genteel teenager. Her younger brother is called Kenneth, the middle school gamer boy with the same blue eyes. They all are from a different school Heeseung went to before he transferred to our private academy for high school.

They all give out friendly ambience around the house empty without adults; Jay's parents have said to be at his grandma's place which somehow excites me in seeing the wilderness the guys would bring as soon as the alcohol settles in. The long table has been set up with plates of juicy steaks specially ordered from Heeseung's favorite restaurant. There're lots of snacks, a keg of beer, different boozes temporarily stolen from the shelves—and cocktails and juices for the middle schooler. A cake has been set in the middle of the table with the presents surrounding it, including mine, a dark sweater from a vintage store Jungwon let me drop by on our way to Jay's.

I'm unaware of the time throughout meeting new people, only until Jake announces everyone that the dinner is ready. The guys have been drinking beer since forever and I wonder if their empty stomachs are healthily accepting that. But it is 6:45 when I hear Jake yelling from the dining room. I instantly worry about Daisy still not getting here.

It wouldn't turn out well if she misses the dinner with everyone and I'm starting to get anxious about her being lost in the neighborhood. Even it takes about ten minutes for everyone to settle at the table, Daisy is yet to show up.

I can feel the qualm getting to its best state right before we hear some muffled noises of steps and giggles getting nearer to us. The room turns completely quiet with confusion by the time the doorbell rings. Springing up from my seat, I beam.
"That must be Daisy!"

Rushing toward the door with no thought, I swing one slide of the large dark wooden door open. A thunderbolt of astonishment strikes me by the sight of a crowd in readying behavior to party. In front all of them stands Daisy in the way I expected her to be; posh and glittery make up applied. She grins widely at my sight.

"I'm sorry I'm late but I brought you a keg—well, not me of course, but the guys." She says chirpily.

"Daisy, what are you—"

"The party is inside people!" One of the girls behind her shouts and pushes through her way into the house. So do the crowd.

Fanatically grabbing Daisy's arm amidst the uninvited craziness, I rage, "Daisy, what the heck is this?!"

"It's not fair to have a party by ourselves, is it, Dan?" Perfunctorily smiling, she yanks off my hold and follows into the crowd.

Jungwon, Jay and the rest of the guys come out into the now boisterous living room. More trucks and cars pull over inside Jay's yard and more enter the place. Right I'm in the middle of my shock, a text enters. It is a random forwarded message.

(Party at Jay Park's!)

Meeting Jungwon's eyes immediately after that, I feel the night has gone terribly wrong.