Chapter 21: Home

Michael ran quickly towards Technoblade's cottage. He couldn't wait to say what needed to be said. He reached the village on the outskirts of the frozen tundra, making him run faster. He was close.

He saw the lights flicker in the distance, he just hoped they were both there. Michael burst through the front door of Technoblade's house. Michael looked up to see Philza and Technoblade drinking coffee, so he didn't waste more than 2 seconds between the time he opened the door to the moment he spoke. "I know that the threat towards me is no longer present. And I know that you'll probably want me to leave now because we did what we set out to do and because you helped me like you promised... But.. I don't want to leave. I haven't had a real family in a long time. Here is my real family. Here is where I belong. I will find a place close by if I have to. I'll live under the porch if I have to, but there's no getting rid of me because... Because I have come to love you both."

The silence was loud. The two men stared at the kid who just gave them a speech, before smiling at each other. Phil gave a small chuckle. "What are you talking about mate? We never would have asked you to leave. We were actually planning on asking you if you wanted to stay."

Michael let out a breath he was holding in. A breath of relief. "You were?"

Phil stood in front of Michael, and put his hands on his shoulders. "Michael, just as your father before you, you are family. And that will never change. This isn't the first conflict we have faced and it likely won't be the last. But we fight them together. Never leaving each other's side. I promise that we will never leave your side Michael. I love you." Phil pulled the kid into a hug and Michael gladly accepted it.

Phil looked to Technoblade. "Yeah yeah. I guess you're sort of okay. I wouldn't want you to not be here I guess." Technoblade ruffled Michael's hair. Michael just smirked before wrapping his arms around Techno. Techno didn't react very quickly, he just held his arms up, before giving in a wrapping them around Michael. Michael didn't hold on too long. He knew Technoblade was weird with affection.

Phil just laughed at Techno's awkwardness. "Come with me Michael. I want to show you something." Phil walked out of the house towards another house built into the side of a mountain. He had seen that house when he first arrived and was always curious about it. They entered the dark house. Phil clapped and a series of torches started to light one by one. The house was small but it felt warm. The carpet beneath Michael's feet felt nice after spending so much time walking through the snow. "Come downstairs." Phil led Michael down a ladder on the far left side of the house.

The basement was huge! There was so much stuff down here. All covered in a layer of thick dust. No one has been in here in many years clearly.  Michael looked around at the materials. Some of this stuff he has never seen before, other stuff he felt that he almost recognized. "What is this place?" Michael asked.

Phil gave a sad smile. "This was your father's house. This was Ranboo's house. We haven't been in here in many years. We were waiting for you to come see it for yourself."

"So this is where he was all that time. He lived here?"

Phil nodded. "He worked hard. Every morning he'd leave to go to the mines. By sundown he'd return with a smile on his face and dirt covering his body. There is more money out here than most other places of the world and Ranboo would work day and night to make sure he found all of it, so that he could support his family." He let Michael soak in this information. "Come, I'll show you his vault."

Michael followed Phil to the back of the basement where he pushed a button. The wall slid to the side to reveal a large room. Michael stepped inside and what he saw caused his jaw to drop.

More riches than he's ever seen. More emeralds and gold and diamonds than he has ever seen. Michael looked to Phil in shock. Phil looked at the room smiling at the happy memory of his friend. "He did this all for you. Everything he did was for you, Michael." Phil put his hand on Michael's shoulder. "And I was wrong for trying to prevent you from seeing his ghost. There's days when I miss those that I have lost, but those are my own demons. I shouldn't have taken it out on you." Michael nodded. He understood what that was like. "He would have wanted you to have this place, ya know. I know that it's something he always wanted to show you. And now your here. He'd be overjoyed."

Michael turned quickly to Phil. "Me? Stay here?"

Phil nods. "If you're willing to."

Michael smiled, sad that his father was gone, but happy that he finally gets to be a bigger part of his life before he died. "I'd love to Phil. Thank you. Thank you for showing me this."

Phil gives Michael a squeeze on his shoulder. "I'll let you take it all in. Just come back when you're hungry. Techno made beef." Phil left.

Michael was still in complete disbelief. He never realized how hard his father worked to give him a good life. In some ways Michael felt guilty for the anger he held throughout his childhood. For the anger he still holds. Maybe he should give Tubbo another chance and try... Try to let go of the past.

Michael felt a presence in the room with him and looked behind him. There stood Ranboo, translucent but he was there. Michael looked at his eyes. Those... Those were his father's eyes. "Papa?"

The translucent figure smiled. "I love you and I'm proud of you, Michael." He said before he disappeared.

Michael stared at the space. He couldn't quite comprehend what happened. He wasn't sure if his father was really there or if he was just a figment of his imagination. Either way, somehow Michael knew that the words that the figure spoke were true. "I love you too Papa."

Michael wasn't sure he would ever actually find it, but he knew in this moment that he had made it. He made it home.