Chapter 32

"Of all the times they could come," Benny threw his hands up in the air. "It just had to be right now. While everything's still shaky and we've only made a tiny bit of progress!"

"You should have ended it while you had a chance," Justin shook his head. "It's only going to go downhill from here."

Benny hated to hear that. As much as he knew that these two were a difficult match, it was nice to see some progress. At least Jasper could somehow cheer Damien up when he was getting yelled at by his parents at the café.

"This is all my fault," Benny sat down on one of the couches, hiding his face. "If I had seen that missing paper in the first place, this would have never happened!"

The missing paper that had somehow dropped out of Damien's file when Benny had first grabbed it, was the most important when looking at his case. It was the red flag of pinning him with anyone, especially someone of the likes of Jasper. If Benny had saw that there was a missing page, and actually found it, he would have spent more time and looked for someone else for this case. Damien should have been a special case all in of himself. He was worthy of someone like Obasi's attention. Obasi was the oldest and most experienced cupid in the department, besides the boss, of course. He specialized in unique cases that took a more gentler or precise touch.

That's who Damien's case belonged to. Not screw-ups like Benny.

"I don't get it," Oliver said. He had come to visit them in the breakroom. His original plan was to deliver a message to Will, but that man had just up and disappeared from the second they got back to the department. "Why are Damien and Jasper a bad match simply because of his parents?"

"Oliver," Benny looked at the cupid. "I can't say I blame you for not knowing how to read that paperwork, being that you're still new and all, but can't you put two and two together?"

"But all your other cases in the past have had family problems," Oliver frowned. "And they've all still made it past. I just don't get why this is the red flag here."

"Because," the blond sighed, rubbing his face in frustration. "It means he's in a specific category that does not fit with Jasper."

"The pink category?" he opened the folder of Damien's just to be sure. "All that means is that he's gay."

"Light pink," Benny corrected him. "Which means that he hasn't officially come out of the closet yet, and is potentially afraid to."

"Which is why I was trying to get you to cancel this the moment that we found this out," Justin looked at Benny. "Do you know how much damage someone like Jasper could do to a case like his? He could make him hate himself!"

"Or he could make him love himself?" Oliver suggested. He knew that he wasn't in a good position to give an opinion, but he couldn't see why this was a bad thing. From what he had seen from the two, it looked like more positive things were coming out of it than negative.

"Jasper's a user," Justin sneered at him. "Trust me, all users like to do is push people around, and as soon as they find your weak spot, they'll use that against you for the rest of your life until you somehow get out of it – or you die."

The room got silent for a second, both Benny and Oliver looking at Justin in shock. It felt like that hit a little too close to home for the anticupid. There was something in those minty eyes that held so much anger and pain, and not for the person that they were talking about. He was lost in another memory, one that they knew nothing about.

"Uh, Justin?" Benny asked. "You okay?"

"Yeah," Justin shook his head, snapping back to reality. "Look, the point I'm trying to make is that you need to find a way to end this, before it gets too bad. As much as I would like to take on Jasper's case myself, I don't want it to be at the cost of Damien."