二十六

If

"I have given up on so many things because of you―my 'without you' time with Yuu-chan, exploring that weird shrine on my first high school trip, having delicious street foods and got myself stuck with you and you can't even properly reply to me?"

They were sitting in the backseat of the cab with their teacher on the front seat, on their way to the dorm.

"Uh―" Sei averted her eyes from the hyperactive female. "Thank you for tagging along with me. I don't know what I would do without you," she expressed her gratitude like an artificially intelligent machine.

Ninako shook her head disapprovingly. "I don't know what Yuu-chan sees in you." Sei became alert at the mention of Yuta. "We are not in a relationship," she confessed.

Ninako let out a sigh. "Everyone knows that," she paused before saying, "Well except Hiro-chan probably. But that's not what you should say. You should always say that you are seeing Yuu-chan."

"See," she continued her lecture, "There is no smoke without fire. The rumor went on for so long because Yuu-chan showed interest in you."

Sei blinked in confusion.

"So don't act like a loser when the time comes." The brunette waved her hands, denying what Ninako was implying. "That's not true at all. Yuta doesn't like me or anything."

Ninako massaged her temples. "What did I say just now? Don't act like a loser. Sei-chan!" She cried out, "You are the only one outside his family whom Yuu-chan calls by her name."

Sei fell quiet. She had heard it before too but did not pay attention to it. It doesn't necessarily mean that he likes me, right? "I don't think so, Aoki-san," she uttered firmly, "I will prefer if you don't spread this elsewhere, specially to Yuta." She did not want him to get uncomfortable because of herself.

Ninako dropped her head in her hands, accepting defeat.

Yuta, on the other hand was feeling restless as well. I shouldn't have left her alone. She did not look well. Should I have gone with her? His inner feelings were written all over his face.

"No, you shouldn't have. It is better that Hayashi has Aoki with her now," Ryo answered to him in a spooky way, plopping down beside him.

Yuta sighed, rubbing his face. "I don't need your expert advice." He clicked his tongue. "Well too bad now that you are in for a bumpy ride of advices and facts."

"Just spill what you want to."

"Exactly."

Yuta lifted one eyebrow for him to explain himself. "Tell Hayashi how you feel about her. If she accepts it then good and if she rejects it then better," Ryo said, adding a laugh at the end.

Yuta thought about what Ryo said the whole day. He was not paying attention to anything in the shrine. The only thing on his mind was―I need to see Sei.

Sei was lying down on the bed, staring up at the ceiling. It was almost seven in the evening. She did not want to have dinner but she could not even fall asleep. Just then, her phone dinged and the screen lit up. She took it in her hand and slid down the notification bar to read the message.

Obnoxious | 06:57 PM
Can you come to the terrace for a sec?