二十三

Far Away
遠く

Yuta repeatedly checked his watch as their P.E. instructor was all set to start their journey to Tokyo. "Class rep," he called Yuta who was casually leaning on the pole. "Aren't you getting on?"

"Sensei," he responded, standing upright. "We are waiting for the transferred student, though." The instructor scrutinized his eyebrows. "Let her be if she is careless enough to get late for her first excursion."

Yuta pursed his lips, hurriedly running his brain to think of something better to say. "That's what I am saying," he spoke up as he shifted his body weight on his other feet. "It's her first excursion in Yosen High. How would she feel if her favourite teacher abandoned her just because she got a little late because of an unexpected situation?"

The instructor coughed up to clear his throat. The word 'favourite' worked like a charm even though he tried his best to ignore it. "Unexpected situation, you say?" He coughed once again. "Then we can wait for her a bit more I guess."

Yuta celebrated internally as he bit down on his bottom lip, staring at the way like a jacobin cuckoo from where Sei was about to come. "I am sorry!" She finally came, panting—bringing a relieved smile to his lips. "I got late."

"Don't let this happen again," their P.E. instructor sternly told her before getting on the bus. Yuta casually took the bag from her shoulder. "Geez, what did you pack in here? We are going to be away for only two nights."

He got on the bus too, followed by Sei. "You will not go on an overnight trip." She shook her head as her mother's words from the morning replayed in her mind. They were sitting beside each other.

Sei turned her head to the opposite side to hide the teardrop from Yuta that rolled out of her eyes. Why can't I get used to her being harsh? Why does it hurt every time? Why? So fucking much.

Yuta plugged his earphones into his cellphone to listen to some music. He failed to understand the reason behind their trip to Tokyo. They could go somewhere nearby—but no. This journey would take up minimum eight hours.

They could go faster by bullet train—but no. They decided to go by bus since it was the cheapest way. Then why Tokyo? Since the students of class 1-E did not win any kind of team or individual games in the sports festival, they got to decide their destination and selected Tokyo as they were always curious about the capital city of their country.

Yuta thought about offering Sei to listen to music with him. But he looked at her to find her already asleep. How can she sleep so fast at unfamiliar places—not to mention uncomfortable? Yuta was sort of bothered by her always falling asleep beside him—Am I that boring? He glanced at the opened window beside Sei and then back at her.

It was already getting winter. The biting cold wind was a definite evidence of it. Yuta reached out to close the window when the wind blew Sei's hair in his face. That scent of honeydew. He remembered the day, Sei had hugged him right after getting her consciousness back.

Yuta settled himself in his seat. He needed to get his feelings out before they got out of control.

They reached Tokyo at five o'clock in the evening. "You have to sign your name before entering the lodge." Sei opened her bag to get a pen out. The bag was as heavy as tired Sei was after an eight hours long journey, causing the bag to slip out of her hand.

Yuta was standing right behind her in the queue. He quickly got down on his knees to pick her things up but halted when he saw four different bottles of pills and supplements. His eyes widened. Sei also bent down and organized her things in her bag, assuming that he did not see the pills.

That was when Yuta noticed that Sei looked even paler than usual that day. He desperately wanted to know what the pills were for but decided to not ask it since she did not seem to be willing to talk about it at all.

How far from you still am I?