Keep In Touch

April 24th 1934

Dearest Sybil,
I hope my unexpected visit yesterday was not too much of a shock. I have wanted to see you again so I took a chance and went to visit Tom at his work for the Daily Mail. (I found him through an article on the royal visit, as I am sure he told you).

I have written to Edith, with your address so she can write to you. I am pretty sure mama will be ecstatic to hear that you are well and I hope papa is not too angry with me. Do not worry about what papa said to you, I doubt he can even remember and if he does I shall take the blame so do not worry.

I would like you to come and stay with us for around a month or so if that is convenient for your family. I feel it would be easier to catch up in person than through the form of letters. However, I do have one small update, do you remember our younger cousin, Lady Rose Mclair? Well, she is pregnant with her fourth child, and we are inviting her and Edith to Downton for the Royal Visit. We are going to also invite Gwendoline, the maid you used to work for us, she is a dear family friend of ours now, I am presuming you remember her. Maybe you should like to join us for the visit?

I do hope this letter finds you and your family in good health, I expect a letter soon,
Your dear sister,
Mary

Mary put down her pen and rang the bell.
'You rang, milady?' Andrew, the footman said as he entered the library.
'Two things, first, please put this letter in the box so it can be posted, and secondly, can you ask mama, papa and Matthew, to come to the Library please?' Mary said as she rose to hand Andrew the letter.

Soon, the Crawley family sat in the library, confused looks on Matthew, Robert and Cora's faces.
'As you know,' Mary began. 'Yesterday, I went to London, but I did not go to see an old friend. Well, in a sense I sort of did,'
'How so?' Cora asked
'I saw Sybil.' Mary announced looking at the different expressions of her family members. Cora's face practically lit up as she clasped her hands together in excitement. Robert's face became a look of pure anger, 'How dare you! I told you not to speak to her again!' He yelled!
'Robert,' hissed Cora. Matthew just looked confused.
'Papa!' Mary said angrily 'You better get over your anger, because I've asked all seven of them to stay for a month.'
'Oh, my darling I'm so proud,' Cora said, 'Wait, Seven?' Cora said, suddenly processing the information her daughter had given her.
'Yes, seven, Tom, Sybil and their five children!'
'I have 5 more grandchildren!' Cora said the excitement growing.

April 26th 1934

Dearest Mary,
First of all, it was a lovely shock, we were delighted. Tom has told me how you found him. I hope you telling papa went down OK, I am yet to receive a letter from Edith, however, but I am sure that she is busy with whatever direction life took her. It would possibly be convenient for us to stay for the Royal visit, then Tom could get first hand-coverage.

I am delighted to hear about Rose's precnancy, I should love to see her again along with Gwen, I must write to her again it has been too long since we spoke. I told the children about their cousins (your children of course) and they were delighted and so was I,
Your dear sister,
Sybil

'mama' Mary called walking into the drawing room,
'yes my dear?'
'Could Sybil, Tom and their children come and stay for the Royal visit, Tom's a journalist so he could get the time off for first-hand coverage?'
'Absolutely, I shall write the letter right this minute!'
'What about papa?'
'I shall handle him do not worry'

April 27th 1934

Sybil my dearest darling daughter,

It was quite a shock the other day when Mary said she had been to visit you. How are you, how is Tom and how are your children? What are their names? We have so much to catch up on!

Mary suggested that you and your family come to stay for the Royal Vist, which is a splendid idea of course. Me, Mary, Matthew would be delighted to see you, and with time so would your papa. The Royal's are expected to arrive on Friday the 31st of May and are leaving on the 3rd of June, our other guests are arriving on May 28th and are leaving on June 3rd as well. Would it be possible for you to come perhaps a week or so early and then leave a week or so after.

Would you like to stay from the 20th of May to the 5th of June? I know you will worry about clothing but we will sort out you, Tom and the children with nice clothing for the visit.

Do reply soon,
Your loving mama

Sybil,
It has been too long since we last spoke, how are you, how is Tom? Mary said you have 5 children now, I'm so happy for you, you must tell me their names. Mary also said that you are potentially coming for the Royal visit. If you are your children will be able to meet mine! (Marigold, Peter, Violet, Robert and Henry) I know that my children would be delighted to meet yours.

Mary telephoned last night and she told me that you are coming to stay for the Royal visit. You must give me your children's clothes sizes, I want to spoil my neices and nephews, think of it as 15 years of missed birthday and Christmas presents.

Your dearest sister
Edith

April 29th 1934

Dear mama,
It is firstly so lovely to hear from you. I have missed you more than you can know. Me, Tom and our five children (Sybbie, Eliza, Tommy, Maggy and Kat) are very well. There is a note included from each child. I have told them all about you, papa, Mary and Edith.

We would love to come and stay and Tom will probably be able to get the time off. He hasn't had a day off in months. I know that the children would be delighted to meet their cousins and I would be delighted to meet my nieces and nephews. I shall see you on the 20th of May.

Dear Grandma,
My mother has told me lots about her side of the family and I have been obsessed. She didn't talk about Grandfather much so I went to the library to look him up. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Grandfather was born in 1865 and has 3 children, Aunt Mary, Aunt Edith and of course mother. He is the Seventh Earl of Grantham and his heir is Mr Matthew Crawley. It was Mr Patrick Crawley but he died on the Titanic. I would love to meet Mr Crawley someday and discuss estate running with him, I am not in line for any estates but it fascinates me so much. One of my best friends in Ireland was the eldest daughter of the agent for the Archon Estate. We used to discuss the subject at length, she and her father taught me very much. I have also heard about my Cousins, George, Florence, Edward and Jane. Could you please tell me a bit about them, as I should like to write to George as we are of similar ages? I am so looking forward to meeting you all next month
Lots of love,
Sybbie, 14

Dear Grandma,
Mother told me many stories about her time as a nurse in the Great War, and how Downton was a Convalencant home for officers. I should quite like to write to Florence as she is only a year younger than me. I have also been told about Aunt Edith's children. It feels rather strange to have a second side to the family I didn't even know about! I look forward to meeting you next month,
Love,
Eliza, 12

Dear Grandma,
Mother has spoken so dearly about you that I am looking very much forward to meeting you. She said how wonderful you were during the Great War. How are you, Aunt Mary, Grandfather, and the Cousins, I look forward to meeting you all next month,
Much love
Tommy, 11

Dear Granny,
Mummy told me and Maggy all about your big house with huge gardens. I must see them. I must. I must also see the horses. Mummy told us you had lots. I want a horsey. I turn 6 soon so I want one then.
Love from
Kat, 5
(Sybbie wrote for me)

Dear grandma,
Mother said that there were so many gardens at Downton, I do love gardening and there isn't much gardening to be done in London, except for the pot plant we have in our classroom window at school. The house is also really pretty, Sybbie showed me a photograph of it from a book she borrowed from her teacher, Sybbie wants to go to University someday, she is top of her class as well. She goes to a snooty grammar school. I want to go there but I am not smart enough. My teacher hates me. I get a different one next year.
I look forward to meeting you in May,
Love
Maggy, 8