Arm Ourselves With Information

Comenzar desde el principio

"Could M have created the portal?" I asked.

"The old wizard?" Harry Jekyll cut in "I know him from my days in The House. He's certainly capable."

"Who is he?" Kian asked "M? He obviously doesn't like people knowing who really he is, and why is he working for The House in the first place?"

That was exactly what I had been wondering. If his connection with The House Of The Apocalypse went as far back as Harry Jekyll's time then did they have some sort of hold over him?

"I honestly don't know why he was working for them," Harry Jekyll replied "But, he was already a member when I joined."

Damn. So, his connection went even further back than we originally thought.

"M?" Mona frowned "We'll, there are a few wizards with 'M' as the first letter of their name, but, not many that go as far back as we're talking. Sorry. I'm a bit of an expert on The House Of The Apocalypse. The legend of them, at least. I never thought they were still going. If we assume that M joined them at the very beginning then we're looking at somebody who was around when magic was still being used freely."

"You're talking before The Coven had formed as well," Victoria said "I think we have some documents from that time, but, there wasn't much that survived."

Frankly, I was now struggling to follow any of what they were going on about. Why was nothing ever bloody simple? This whole thing was getting more and more complicated the longer it went on, and, while we struggled to put the pieces together, Lucifer was out there doing fuck knows what. Most likely working on bringing about the end of all things.

Yeah, that wasn't a happy bloody thought...

And the main problem was that we had absolutely no idea what our next move should be. How were we supposed to fight him, or even find him?

"Well, that doesn't help us much," I muttered "So, what do we do now?"

"It appears we've hit a dead end," Kian mused. He took a closer look at the cover of an old leather-bound book that sat on one of the many shelves that lined the walls "So, we need to arm ourselves with information. We read."

Victoria nodded "We look for any mention of alternative universes, anything at all to help us," she added, handing out volumes with titles like 'How To Summon A Fallen Angel, The Book of the Dark One' and 'How To Curse Your Enemy'.

I ended up with a small black book with golden writing embossed on the cover that read 'The Little Book of Shadows'.

We all dispersed to various desks, I followed Kian and sat next to him, while my mum teamed up with Dylan while Callum went with Michael. Victoria and Harry Jekyll stayed at the bookshelf.

"This is going to make my bloody head hurt," I said as I sat down next to Kian and opened the book Victoria had given me "I've done enough studying."

"Your head will be fine," Kian laughed "You only have a few months before the end of college anyway."

I glared at him "Shut the fuck up, I've got universities to look at after that. If the world doesn't end before I get there. I don't think my mum is going to let me give up on my education just because I'm a werewolf."

Kian laughed "Yeah, 'If', although the world ending puts a different perspective on things. Grades won't matter if you're dead."

Damn it, he always knew how to make me feel better about situations like this.

I kept flipping through the pages until I came across a chapter title that immediately caught my attention '3- Alternate Universes and Places'.

Jackpot.

"Kian, I think I have something here," I said putting the book in the middle of us so that he could read it as well.

He studied the page for a moment before shaking his head "This is wild," he leaned across the desk slightly, getting closer to me. His voice tickled my ear, and the warmth of his breath made me shiver "I don't understand it. All this stuff about the other realities, parallel universes, other worlds, whatever you want to call them, none of it makes any sense."

"Me either," I admitted, leaning closer to him myself and staring hard at the book.

The handwriting was short, neat, and thankfully easy to read;

Alternate universes are not just a concept of the mind. They are as real as the grass beneath our feet or the sky above our heads. I know you will ask if they cannot be seen, how could they exist?

There are a great number of such worlds out there, each different from the other. They exist because of the choices that we make. Each decision creates a parallel world where things play out as if you made a different choice.

There was a time when this was thought to be the truth. Maybe at one point, it was, but this was all just theory. We never knew for sure until the day that 'M' opened a portal to one of these different words...

"Wait, M, opened a portal before?" I said pointing out the paragraph to Kian.

"Oh, fuck, we need to tell the others," Kian said picking up the book. I followed him back to where Victoria and Harry Jekyll were still sorting through books.

They both looked up at our approach
"Okay, let me guess, you found something useful?" Victoria asked, taking her attention away from the pile of books in front of her.

"Yeah, we did," I confirmed passing her the book.

As she read her expression changed to one of disbelief and shock "Shit..." she said as she eventually put the book down "Well, this complicates things."