"Hmm." Came from Henry and I dared to look at him, oh, the look in his eyes told me he didn't like my answer. Then they began asking trivial questions like why I was in Dark Falls, and a few questions about my grandpa and a few condolences of my parents' death as I was asked about them. Henry stayed silent most of the time, and if he spoke, it was not with me. I placed the crystal glass on the crystal glass on the side of the pool table and watched as Reid arranged the balls in the triangle, looking smug as he did.

"Ladies first," Reid said trying to be all gentleman.

"Oh, please," Dana sighed from the couch. Henry sat nearby, conversing quietly with Lucy. His eyes met mine, and I realized I had been staring at him rather than focusing on the game. I turned to Atticus, wondering if he had noticed, but he only smiled at me. I bent forward, aiming for the ball on the table, and I felt the gaze of both Atticus and Reid on me. I opened the game – three balls went down the holes.

"Well, damn," Reid muttered as I continues to sink shots.

"I think you've found an worthy opponent, Reid," Atticus chuckled, leaning in to distract me as I prepared to shoot again. I held his gaze, noticing him looking at my behind. I aimed, still focusing on him, and the ball went straight into the hole. His lips parted slightly, and his blue gaze dropped to my mouth as I bit my lower lip in a smile.

"Hoe?" Reid blurted, leaning over the table to inspect it. "You didn't even look!"

Dana laughed loudly, declaring, "I like you, Em." I found that I liked her too, she was a calming presence amidst the others. Atticus leaned closer to me, I felt a warmth brush against my side as I was about to sink my next ball. Surprised, I turned to find him staring at me. With a gentle touch to my chin, he tilted my head back to meet his gaze.

"She reads, she drives like a maniac, she plays pool like a pro, and she drinks whiskey. Pinch me. I might have fallen in love," he whispered low enough for it to only grace my ears. I laughed and pulled away. Aiming another ball, I deigned to look at the dark presence that was Henry briefly, he was staring and not in a good way. He clenched his jaw to the point it might crack. I intentionally missed my shot to give Reid a chance to play.

"You did that on purpose," Reid muttered, but let it go and took his turn.

I glanced over my shoulder and replied to Atticus, taking a sip of my whiskey before I said, "don't fall in love with me, Atticus. I'll break your heart to shatters," I teased, which seemed to ignite something in those very blue eyes.

"In shatters, huh?" Atticus mused. "Might be worth it for the art." His words came out in whispers, I wanted to lean closer, feeling the words to my skin.

"Yes, that is what you artists do, right? Smear your pain out in colors. Maybe that's why it's called a pain-ting," I replied. Atticus frowned, and I searched his deep blue eyes that drew me in closer. As he brushed a strand of hair from my face, I couldn't help but smile. He was too good at this. If he kept it up, I would be the one falling in love and ending up shattered. I hadn't come to Dark Falls to fall in love.

Reid whistled, clearly annoyed. "Your turn princess," he said, to which I rolled my eyes. I had forgotten about everyone else in the room and my cheeks grew hot, but as I turned to look at them nobody seemed to notice, except from Henry. I dropped my gaze as mine met his prodding silver stare.

"Ick. Don't call me princess," I retorted, earning a smirk from Reid. Everyone turned to look at me, including Lucy, who seemed about to say something.

"Fine by me, princess," Reid smirked again.

And it was Henry who said, "Reid." There was a firmness in his voice. Reid nodded sumbtly in response, and the room shifted momentarily. I sensed that Henry held some authority over the others, as if he was a boss of sorts. Though most of them were in their mid-twenties, Henry, at thirty-one, seemed older and more mature. I surveyed the room before I began shooting down the rest of the balls until there was only the black one remaining.

"Top corner to the right," I said. Reid nodded, looking as if he silently tried to accept defeat. I didn't miss.

"My turn," Dana popped up from the couch and stepped up next to me. I handed her the cue. "Atticus?" she asked with a challenge.

I joined the others in the couches. Henry didn't spare me a glance as I sat across from him, sipping my whiskey neat, slowly. Lucy smiled as she played with her hair and drank wine as if it were an art form. Reid sat down next to me, a little too close. I wasn't officially Atticus' date – it was Dana who invited me, so I bet that made me fair game.

"So, Emilia, did it hurt when you fell down from heaven?" Reid grinned, knowing very well how stupid the words that came out of this mouth were. Everyone in the room gave an annoyed snort.

I knew his type, and I wondered how many women in total he had pissed off in his time on this earth. I turned to him, scoothing a bit closer. I looked deep into his hazel eyes and said, "no, but I did scratch my knee when I crawled up from hell," and added, "why? Do you want to lick my wounds, Reid?" I took a slow sip of my whiskey. His eyes sparked of intrigue as he placed his arm on the couch behind me and his fingers went to the long strands of my hair.

"Serious offer?" Reid asked. The audacity of his man.

"Get your fucking hands of her," it came from Atticus behind me.

"Reid," Lucy sighed a warning, and it made me break out in laughter. Reid's eyebrows went completely flat. Henry caught my attention as he stood. As he passed by, he swiftly removed Reid's hand, tapping his chest to make him move away from me.

"New beauty in town got everyone flustered it seems," Lucy muttered under her breath and gracefully rearranged her long legs. She didn't speak as much as everyone else and she had that calm cool that Henry held over himself. They would be a good pair if they weren't already, since they did mostly speak to each other. I turned to watch Atticus and Dana banter as they played, the latter sounded like a sore loser, and I betted she was a sore winner too.  

I appericiate you taking your time to read my story. Please leave me a vote, follow and a comment if you want to show me some support

Find me on other socials

Instagram: emersonwinter.author

Pinterest: emersonwinter1

Tiktok: emersonwinter.author

Inkitt: emersonwinter

Thanks