one.

An erratic beeping fills my head, and I feel the cool white bricks of the wall beside me. This room makes me feel like a giant. I am claustrophobic, I am an animal, I am rabid. They want me to think that way, they want me to give in. I am not a child; I am not a number.  Hawkins National Laboratory, a place of dread and despair. The thick walls do not drown out the screams, and the false encouragement from a man called 'papa' does not erase the trauma he places on us. The small tattoo on my wrist reading 022 makes me nauseous. I am new. I am the oldest age, yet all of the teens hate me. I am not a guide; I am given special treatment. My head is not forcibly shaven, and my books are allowed to stay in my room. I am allowed because he is not the strongest one. He cannot outdo me; he cannot overpower me. I intimidate Brenner. My powers are not understood. My nose bleeds, but I am much more powerful than any other of the patients. I can overwhelm the emotions of people around me, I can manipulate their senses, and make them hear my thoughts. I control minds and make people see me for how I am. I cannot lie to them, but only bring light to the truth. That is not what scares Brenner. He has seen my powers once but does not experiment on me. I refuse to show him what I can do, so he bribes me. I keep refusing him, but he does not give in. He knows I am older and wiser than the children he lies to; he knows that I was once living normally, but I was caught. That was the first and only time he got to see me in control. I was 19, working as an intern for a horror writer, Jensen Leering. I had known I was different, but I hadn't known the extent of my power. Jensen influenced the works of Brenner, and he used his real-life work for influence. I used my power to my advantage to make people see that I was a good person and hard-working. I covered up my nose bleeding quickly, and nobody ever noticed. When I met him, it was a professional meeting that I was not allowed to enter. I was to sit outside the room, organizing the next meetings for Jensen. Brenner came out of the room with Jensen, with that stern face he always has. I shook his hand after a quick introduction, swarming his mind with my power. I filled his thoughts with good swarms of honest truths about me, my hard work, and how kind I try to be. It wins people over. After I finished my process, I turned quickly to dab my nose with the napkin in my pocket. Jensen had run to take a call, and I felt Brenner's hand on my arm. "What are you?" He muttered. Stunned, I shoved my tissue back into my pocket. "What are you talking about? Please get your arm off of me, Jensen will be back in any second." He shook his head, and discreetly pulled the napkin from my button-down pocket. Without a sound, he quietly grabbed me and pulled me along with him. When there was nobody around, I began screaming. I remember a sharp pain and darkness. It has been nearly 2 years since that day, but he still has never been given another opportunity to use me. He gives me one new book each week, usually a classic novel.

 Each time, he writes the same note on the inside cover in his messy, disgusting handwriting: For my complicated 22, I hope you change your brilliant mind soon. From, Papa.

I hate him, and I do not understand. I haven't done anything wrong, I don't understand my powers, and I have never harmed a soul. I used my powers to help people understand me, for success, for prosperity. There is no crime here. I pray things to get better soon; I don't know how long I can hold on without any hope. I am alone, I am isolated. I need someone to set me free. 

(AUTHOR'S  NOTE! - Hi friends! I hope you enjoyed today's chapter. While Henry will be introduced in the next chapter, I wanted you to get a quick backstory of who y/n is and how she behaves and feels. Her powers are important, and her shielding of them will be very prominent in the story. I am so so so very excited to keep writing, so expect frequent new chapters each couple of days. Comment and talk to me!! Lots of love! - citrinevinyl.)