Sanctuary

[A/N: Hello my lovelies! Here is the next chapter for you all! I apologize for the cliffhanger of the last chapter, but I assure you there is a reason! These next few chapters will be revealing more backstory and how it pertains to the present. I love you all and hope you enjoy! -K 🖤]

[🌿This chapter is long, contains swearing, sexual insinuations and references, as well as saddening angst.🌿]
***
With an exhausted sigh, I hauled the hangers for the dry cleaning over my shoulders and adjusted my purse into my elbow. I was more than drained and absolutely spent after a busy and partly-stressful day. I hurried my steps up the stone walkway, admiring my flowers as they bloomed beautifully against the house.

"Look at you!" I happily exclaimed, craning my neck to reach for the hanging baskets of purple blooms as they fully opened themselves towards the bright sun of the afternoon. "I asked Will to water you, but he must have forgotten." I hummed, seeing the dried and dehydrated leaves slightly crinkle around the vibrant green edges.

I quickly focused on my task at hand, forcing my hair back over my shoulder and digging into my purse for my house keys. With a rushed shimmy, I unlocked the front door and entered, smiling at the familiar and comforting scent of a candle that I had previously lit before I had left.

"I'm back, Will!" I excitedly mentioned, kicking the door closed behind me. I shoved off my shoes onto the mat next to the door and trudged around the corner. "I picked up your dry cleaning!" I called out, walking towards the island of our kitchen and resting the suit jackets over the back of the chair.

Before I had left to complete my errands, I made sure to tidy up and clean, especially dusting off some figurines that resided on a few scattered decorative shelves. My entire collection, which was minuscule in the grand scheme of it all, was confined to other areas of the house.

Will preferred it that way, and as long as it made him happy, I didn't mind to only leave a few glass figures scattered around.

I gently rested my purse on the countertop and gazed over the mail that had been carelessly tossed onto the granite. "Bills...bills...garbage..." I muttered as I shuffled the mail in my hands. My eyes flickered to a new addition besides my bouquet arrangement in the center of the island. "And you...were not here when I left."

An ornately wrapped present rested against the rose bouquet, the same bouquet that I had bought for myself a few days earlier. With a smile, I gratefully reached for the gift and inspected it, admiring the bow and small note that had been tucked under the ribbon.

Maybe Will actually remembered?

I removed the note and carefully opened it. My eyes scanned over the lines as a familiar, yet foreign feeling began to settle in my chest.

'To: (Y/N),
I'm hoping you don't have this one. I tried to be sneaky and search your bookshelves to make sure I didn't get you a second copy, although it wouldn't be the first time that it happened.

Happy Birthday, Angel.

I hope this year will be the best one yet. You deserve nothing but the best.

-Santi :)'

Tears swelled in my eyes as I forced down the pressure in my throat. Santi must have stopped by while I was out running errands, and very important ones at that. But it was strange, he had been with me for one of them.

How did he manage to sneak this present under my nose?

And he remembered my birthday when my fiancé didn't.