𝟒𝟐. Legilimens

The day after Dumbledore fled, Flich was seen hanging up the newest educational decree. It stated something Valentine already knew, but that didn't make the blow any lighter. Dumbledore really was gone and now it known throughout the school.

In all, it had only been three days, but the school environment had already changed drastically. For one thing, Umbridge had megaphone speakers installed across the castle and charmed them to screech her proclamations down the barren halls- most students simply retreated to their common rooms. She had all portraits in Gryffindor tower removed, the curfews brought in earlier, banned both Quidditch and trips to Hogsmeade and not even McGonagall could speak out against her in fear of being removed herself.

Valentine closed her eyes, took a deep breath and focused on remaining calm. It was the only thing stopping her from barging into the Great Hall and raising hell. Harry and the others, Dumbledore's Army were in detention as they had been every night since they'd been caught and the Head Master had fled. Every night Valentine would stalk the halls, waiting nearby as they suffered and then follow Harry back to Gryffindor Tower, just to be certain he really got there. It made her blood boil and her fingers twitch to know that there was so little she could do.

Sitting on the top step outside the hall, listening to the scratching of quills and soft whimpers of pain, she silently cursed the situation. She cursed Fudge and his paranoia, Umbridge and her sadism, the students for using the name fucking Dumbledore Army, Snape for insisting they could do nothing and Dumbledore for leaving without further instruction.

When Dumbledore had been removed from the school in her second-year things had been different. Umbridge hadn't been there to immediately take his place and the focus had been on dealing with the Chamber of Secrets and it's giant, slithery occupant. She was now in complete and utter control of the school.

Valentine gripped her knee tightly, digging in her nails. Yes, she was trying to remain calm but she wouldn't pretend that she was doing the best job. Getting angry might not have been helpful but she felt it was better than Snape's depressing resignation to their current situation. Things simply couldn't continue on like this. Harry wouldn't ever be safe around a woman that completely denies any possible that be might not be. Valentine was beginning to think she would have to take Harry from Hogwarts herself and if that's what it came to, so be it. She wouldn't let even Snape stand in her way.

-----Pretending To Live-----

"I owe you guys my firstborn child." Said Blaze, hugging the notebooks to his chest.

"Ah, no thanks." Said Anna.

"Yeah, we might have to decline on that." Chloe laughed.

"Oh. Well, you can have Leah instead."

"I actually wouldn't hate that." Leah admitted.

"Hmm. Tempting but still going to be a no." Said Anna. "Don't worry about owing us or anything like that. Just pass your O.W.Ls."

"You're an angel." Leah brushed away imaginary tears.

"A true saint." Blaze joined her, holding a book over his face.

"No problem. Keep's things quieter." Anna shrugged.

"Quieter?" Blaze asked.

"Yeah...when you guys go through a crisis...you aren't all that quiet about it."

"That's fair." Said Leah.

Valentine, like always, had her head stuck in a book. The same one she'd been trying to read all week, but was constantly interrupted by the damning thoughts of their predicament.