─── ❝ 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟑☙ 𝐅𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫, 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐬𝐮𝐜𝐤 𝐚𝐬𝐬 ❞ ───

➽───────────────❥

You actually found the library to be a fairly pleasant place to read. It was quiet, and kind of cozy. You struggled at first to find where any of the books you wanted were. Going into the task, you weren't really that familiar with how libraries organized their books, but once you got into the swing of things, your pace picked up. Windows were built high along the western wall of the room. When you first looked the sky was already drifting to an intense crimson, however after nearly being done it was almost black.

The days were getting shorter and shorter. It wouldn't be that long before winter finally hit.

As you went on with your reading, you noticed how strange some of the family's books were. Most were nothing unusual. Some fiction. Some not. However, a select few were very bizarre. Their covers always depicted strange symbols you couldn't recognize, with a title in a language you couldn't read. All of them went to a single shelf located in the far end of the library, stuck in their own lonely corner.

You would have liked to get a glimpse at their contents, but every book was beyond your comprehension. The windows were far too high up for you to peer out of them, but you knew you heard the shatter come from beyond them. Something had broken against the outside wall. "What the hell..." You closed my eyes, listening. It sounded like somebody was talking. You opened your eyes just in time to see a flaming bottle smash against one of the windows. Glass shattered as flames erupted away from the window. Shards of glass burned as they fell to the floor.

"What-"

Another bottle followed, flying gracefully through the opening the last one created. It shattered against the ground in front of you. Pieces of flaming glass leapt toward your frame. You lifted your arm up, wincing as bits of fire bounced off your now torn sleeve. your heart pounded in your chest as you heard something breaking against the wall outside again. "Fire... again...?" Your voice was hoarse. "Someone's fire-bombing the library!" You shouted as you stumbled back, clutching the book you were reading to your chest.

"Somebody! Help!" Another bottle hit a window. The window shattered. The bottle didn't. It fell in a burning arc until it struck the corner of a shelf. Wood and paper ignited instantly. A noticeable amount of smoke filled the room. Finally, you thought better than sticking around. You whipped around and sprinted for the nearest set of doors. They flung open before you reached them. Kanato stared past you with an expression of shock and fear. You sprinted up to him, grabbing his hand and running as far from the library as you could.

You stumbled when you reached the front steps, and rolled into the lawn. Somehow, you had kept a grip on that book you were reading earlier the whole time. Red and blue lights approached in the distance. The whole family was out along with Yui thankfully. Karlheinz was here too. He sighed and just a second before the police pulled in the driveway, Karlheinz phased into one of his social appearances: Tougo Sakamaki.

Several people outside including the cops were staring at you. Yui stood out a bit more, however. She looked terrified.

After a few moments, you realized she wasn't quite looking at you, but rather your shirt.

You looked down.

Small embers were burning their way through both the front of your shirt and your sleeve. You instinctively patted yourself down, putting embers out one after the other.

"Oh my god!" Yui rushed over to you, quickly looking over your arm and torso. "I'm so sorry!"

"Huh...?"

She spent several more moments looking over each blackened spot of cloth, until she was absolutely certain it wasn't burning any more.

"Um, Yui?" You looked around sheepishly.