Chapter 4 - The Ride to the Barn

Note: The fortune part you're gonna read might be disturbing. It's just a bit of unexpected scene. Thank you.

Still in the peaceful forest, Madame Canardist was quizzed with a few people. "Are you travelers heading somewhere?" She asked.

Eugene faced Madame Canardist. He was solemn. "We need a place to sleep actually." Eugene added, answering. He goes to Varian. Ruddiger wakes up from his nap. The raccoon moves aside. Eugene picked fainted Varian up in his arms. "I gotta keep my brother warm. I can't let him be a goner." Eugene uttered.

Madame Canardist was concerned. "I see..." she added. Madame Canardist gestured the group to her left. "There's a barn not far away from here." She instructed.

Eugene positions himself around. He was surprised.

Adira steps forward to Madame Canardist. Adira was bemused yet bothered. "A barn?" She wondered.

Madame Canardist nodded her head twice. "That's right." She replied.

Lance was puzzled. "The barn with the animals, food and the hay, which horses and cows eat?" He asked.

Eugene smiles big. He was confident.

Madame Canardist nodded her head three times. "Yes, yes and yes." She believed.

Eugene walked to Madame Canardist. "You have to take us to that barn, Madame." He said.

Madame Canardist was not surprised. She shrugged. "Eh, Vigor and I are heading there anyway." Madame Canardist said.

Before Madame Canardist went to her cart, she fingered out at Eugene. Madame Canardist was eccentric. "It's gonna cost ya." She warns.

Eugene was determined with his happy face. "I will do whatever you need just to get to the barn." He decided.

Madame Canardist was thrilled. "Good." She said.

Lance raises his left hand to Madame Canardist. He was anxious. "I'll tell him, Madame." Lance said.

Madame Canardist shrugs.

Eugene faces Lance. "No matter how much, Lance, I can pay the fortune teller." He said.

Lance was awkward. "About the payment for the fortune teller..." he added. "It's five pieces of silver..." Lance utters.

Eugene was taken aback. "Five pieces of silver?!" He inquired in exclamation.

Lance shrugged. "Right?!" He inquires in exclamation.

Madame Canardist puts her hands around her mouth. She was enthusiastic. "FIVE PIECES OF SILVER FOR EACH PERSON!" Madame Canardist hollered.

Eugene and Lance faced Madame Canardist. They are astounded. "Each?!" They inquired in exclamation in unison.

Adira glimpsed at Eugene and Lance. And then, she looked at Varian.

Adira walked to Madame Canardist.

Madame Canardist was befuddled.

Adira pulled out her dark gray pouch. She was bemused yet delighted. Adira rattled at her pouch. "Hear this, Madame..." she added. Her pouch was shaken with metal sounds. Madame Canardist was shocked. Adira stops rattling her pouch. "It's going to be your payment of our ride to the barn. And perhaps, you can give my friend...Eugene...a fortune on the way there..." she stated.

Eugene was astonished. "Okay, Adira." He protests.

Adira rotated her head to her left. She smiles. "I got this, Fishskin." Adira reassured. She faces Madame Canardist.