Chapter 18: Reunions are the best parties

Start from the beginning

"Yes of course," the teacher said, looking very interrupted and annoyed. Vanessa didn't mind though and stood up, giving me a meaningful look.

After she'd left, I asked to go to the toilet too and went after her.

"You wanted to talk?" I asked her. She looked like she was hesitating to say something.

"I... er... I overheard Penny and Fay gossiping the other day," she said. "About you..."

"Surprising," I commented with sarcasm. "So? They've done that from the beginning, just like everyone else."

Vanessa remained quiet for a minute. "I figured..." she now looked on the verge of tears. "I should've seen it Lucy."

I bit the inside of my cheek. "I'm sorry I was jealous, it's just- I've never had friends before, unlike you."

Vanessa smiled and the tears in her eyes started falling. "And I am sorry for not seeing what kind of people they were."

I smiled back and hugged her, happy I had my friend back. We stayed in the toilets like that for some time, before going back to the class and started planning a good prank on Fay and Penny.

At home, I was happy to find I had a letter from Harry. I petted Hedwig and gave her a treat like always, before reading the letter.

Apparently, something had happened with Hagrid and now all of Hogwarts hated The Boy Who Lived and some of his friends. All because of that Draco Malfoy guy.

I felt very bad for my brother, because I knew he would get the worst of the anger, since he was famous.

Considering his writing style, he was obviously not telling me something though.

"Hedwig, what's happening at Hogwarts right now?" I asked our owl, but of course, she only hooted and nibbled my fingertip affectionately.

Writing to Harry about what bothered him wouldn't help a thing, he would just deny all of it. Ron wouldn't tell either, because Harry probably told him not to.

Then I knew it. Hagrid! I could ask Hagrid if Harry and Ron had been up to something strange. He would definitely answer and probably tell me!

So, I wrote a response to Harry, telling him it would all be alright soon and that I was fine and one to Hagrid.

"Hedwig, make sure Harry doesn't see you deliver this to Hagrid, please?" She looked a bit weird at me, but hooted anyway, which I assumed was an agreement, before flying off.

I couldn't wait to go to Hogwarts next year with Harry and the Weasleys next year. I wouldn't have to miss anything that happened there anymore. No more depending on letters and newspapers, no more missing my brother, no more stupid bullies from this neighbourhood!

"I will miss Vanessa though," I said to no one in particular. Vanessa was my best and first real friend. It sucks that she has to stay here! Couldn't I sneak her into Hogwarts with me?

"MONSTER!" Aunt Petunia yelled from downstairs. "Where are you? I need you to clean this up!"

I sighed at the new nickname. Since thyy'd found out about my, as Remus called it, 'Furry Little Problem', the Dursleys thought it funny to call me 'Monster'.

I mean, they are kinda roght. I am a monster after all.

My answer from Hagrid came three days later. In this time, Harry had also replied to my letter, but no sign of him knowing about my other letter.

He was still facing the hatred of the entire school, except the Slytherins. They were very happy with whatever he'd done.

Turns out the whole fuss was about him losing many house points for Gryffindor. And since Slytherin was now bound to win, like always, everyone hated him.