Visit from a Future Friend

"Could you hurry up, love? I'm in a bit of a rush." commanded a pig-like man in a business suit.
"Sorry, sir. I'll make sure to tell our coffee machine to 'hurry up' next time." I replied sarcastically as I finished off his americano, handing it to him with a false smile plastered on my face. He left obnoxiously, having a loud conversation on the phone and not leaving me a tip. I love the before-work rush. The coffee shop was buzzing with middle aged mothers lifting croissants before their PA meetings, teenage girls drinking frappes in place of a healthy breakfast and more stodgy businessmen sneaking forty brown sugar packets into their 'sophisticated' black coffees.

"Hello, would you mind making me a cappuccino? If you can catch the time." My graze around the shop was interrupted by this request, and I whip my head back to look up at a figure I had never seen before. Stood on the other side of the counter was a tall, slim man. I scanned his features. He had chestnut hair that was shaped with hair gel, in a spiky, statue-of-liberty way. His face was friendly, speckled with constellations of light freckles. His eyes were odd. They were a plain brown colour, and yet they seemed special. As though they had seen a million sunsets. I tore my eyes away from his when I noticed his suit, and realised he was probably another businessman ready to yell at me for being slow.

"Yes! I'll get that right away for you, sir." I cleared my throat awkwardly and started doing my usual craft.
"Sir. Never liked that title. Call me the Doctor." His smile distracted me from making sure the milk didn't overflow in the frother. There was something strange about him. Familiar, almost.
"The Doctor, that's an odd name. Don't you have a proper name that I can call you?"
"I'm afraid not. I tend to just go by The Doctor."
"The Doctor it is, then." I grinned as I sprawled the title on his cup, pouring the sweet-smelling liquid into it.
"Here, that'll be two ninety-five, Doctor." My hand feels electric against his as I hand him the beverage, not pulling it away quick enough. "Keep the change, Y/N." he smirked mischievously as he set a ten-pound note on the table and leaving the shop before I could protest that it was too big for a tip.

How did he know my name? With the clink of a door bell and the swish of a coat, he was gone. His glistening eyes hung in my mind throughout my whole shift. I managed to forget about it when I was relieved of my duties, leaving the shop in the evening. Now was the only chance I ever got to run errands. I trekked the streets of London until I met the supermarket, picking up my essentials for the week ahead. I dragged my filled basket to the checkout, looking down every aisle as I walk. It's weird, actually, I could've sworn I saw that guy. I remembered the way his coat flared and exposed a pair of well-worn converse. I saw the exact scene in aisle four. Maybe I'm just losing it.

I lugged my shopping bags throughout Piccadilly Circus, making my way to the bus stop that would lead me back to Vauxhall. I ran through a sea of tourists to hop onto my double-decker bus. I always sit on top deck, but I thought I caught a glimpse of funky shaped hair on the bottom deck. I keep imagining that man from earlier. I shake off my head and continue to wonder out the window, staring into the bustling nightlife of the city. I almost dozed off but I managed to catch my stop, jumping off after thanking the driver. My legs and arms ached from carrying my bags, but my flat was a few minutes away.

I heard foot steps pattering behind me. I ignored it, but they got louder. I made a right turn. So did the footsteps. I crossed the road. So did the footsteps. With my house keys gripped tightly in my hand ready to be used as wolverine claws, I spun on my heels and held my arm out in front of me protectively.

"Woah! You'll put someone's eye out with that!"

It was him. The man from earlier. His adam's apple was inches away from my silver house key.
"What do you want from me? Why have you followed me all day? I knew I saw you! In the supermarket, and on the bus! I'm not insane!" I screech, accusing him of stalking.
"You're acting a little bit insane right now, actually." Every nerve in my body told me not to trust this stranger, but something in his eyes gave me comfort. I lowered my hand in surrender, awaiting an explanation.
"I didn't mean to scare you, honestly, I didn't. I was just wondering if I could have that tenner back. The one I gave you earlier." His voice was calm, even when being threatened. My heart dropped at his request. I glanced down at my full bags, looking at the delicious ingredients I splashed my extra cash on.
"This is awkward... Sorry for all the trouble, Doctor, it's just I already spent it on my shopping. But if you like you can come in, I can cook for you to make up for it. If you're lucky I might have some cash in the house, too." I smiled, trying to persuade him to accept my offer to alleviate my guilt. 

"It's alright, I was just trying to prove a point. Thanks for remembering my name, by the way." He turned, swishing the tail of his jacket again. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion as I caught up to him.
"Wait! What do you mean, prove a point?"
"I bet that you were a good person even before you met me. It'll all make sense in four years. See you later, Y/N." Before I could even begin to register what he said, he leaned down and locked lips with mine. We intertwined beautifully, almost like we were supposed to kiss. He pressed the point at the back of my neck that I adore being held in with his fore finger, as though he knew how I like to be kissed. I watched him saunter off into the night, completely dazed at the events that just occurred. The way he wrapped his hand around the crook of my neck. He knew what to do when he kissed me. It was exact, perfect to a point. I had to do it again.

"Doctor!"

A/N:
This book obviously isn't overly popular, but I still like posting for the readers I get. I hope you guys enjoy this update, I'm in the middle of my exams so it's difficult to find spare time but I crafted this out of a scrap of an idea. Enjoy!!! - author x