𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘸𝘰... 𝗽𝗼𝗼𝗹 𝗽𝗮𝗿𝘁𝘆

Start from the beginning

cleo entered her room with a bottle of moisturiser in her hand, "this is a catastrophe of the highest order. moisturiser is mainly water." she said as she leaned her arms on the rails of her bed.

"if dolphins can swim for miles, so can we." rikki stated out of the blue with a dazed look on her face.

"of course you girls can. i've done it." alexa said as she gestured to herself.

wanting to get her point across, cleo exclaimed, "we can't moisturise ever again!"

"we could swim all the way to fiji." rikki said as she turned over onto her stomach and propped herself up on her forearms, "could you imagine that?"

"been there, done that." alexa replied nonchalantly as she played with the locket around her neck.

getting back onto the original topic, cleo complained, "our skin will be dry and wrinkly. we'll be geriatrics by the time we're twenty-one."

alexa put her hand up, "excluding me." which earned a look from the three girls, "i'm just saying." alexa quickly added with her hands up in mock surrender.

"i missed training today, the first time in six years." emma informed the three girls softly as she spoke for the first time today.

alexa gave emma's arm a gentle squeeze, "i'm sorry about that emma." which earned a small smile from the gilbert.

cleo took a seat beside the rooney, "see? see how bad this is?" she added, "we have to tell somebody. our parents? a doctor?"

rikki questioned rhetorically, "and end up a mermaid in a strait-jacket with moisturised skin?" which earned a look from cleo.

"forget it." rikki stated as she shook her head at cleo's suggestion.

"we can't tell anyone." alexa chimed in, "who knows what'll happen to us if the whole world found out that mermaids exist? we could be treated like science experiments."

"rikki and alexa are right, cleo. we can't tell anyone." emma stated firmly to the sertori.

cleo questioned, "not even mum?"

emma shook her head, "no. no parents."

cleo reasoned, "but i tell mum everything."

"well, not this time." emma emphasised, wanting to get her point across to cleo, "it's too dangerous. people just won't understand. we could be locked up."

cleo inquired, "why could we be locked up?"

emma listed off, "because we're different? because we can do things that other things can't do? because they're scared of us?"

alexa added in a serious tone, "people could see us as a threat and we could be followed around like celebrities. we could never have a normal life ever again if people found out that we have a talent that no one else can do."

cleo sighed in defeat, "fine, i won't tell anyone." she added, "except lewis."

rikki replied in frustration, "no, cleo. not lewis. not anyone."

"ok, ok." cleo said as she nodded her head at the chadwick's words, "don't worry. i'm really good at keeping secrets." she added with a reassuring smile.

alexa, rikki and emma shared a look as they silently prayed to themselves that cleo's words was the truth.

but life wasn't always fair to the four girls as soon enough, someone would discover their secret.

👑