Chapter Twenty Nine

Start from the beginning

"You're right," his mom said with a nod, her eyes watering.

"If dad gets pissed then," Milan paused, "then at least I'll be on your side."

"Oh, Mila..." His mom whispered as she rested her head on her son's shoulder. The two of them sat like that for a while, before Milan said he had to go.

"I still have some homework left," Milan said as he got up.

"Mila?" His mom called out, "does he make you happy?"

"Happiest I've ever been."

~~~

"I invited him over. Happy?" Leo sighed as he showed his phone to his sister. The little minx had been after him for days now to call Milan since she wanted to meet him again.

"Yay!" Maya cheered.

"Invited who over?" Roan said as he entered the living from the kitchen, wiping his hands on his apron.

"Milan is coming for dinner. Is that okay?" Leo realised he probably should've asked Roan or Kai first before inviting a guest.

"Yeah sure, I've cooked enough for four—" Roan glanced at Maya, "—and a half."

"Cool," Leo said.

"He eats red meat, right? Or I could make something else too," Roan asked.

"Nah, it should be fine," Leo answered. He paused for a moment, before continuing, "thank you."

"No worries," Roan shook his head, "which reminds me, Kingsley wants to take you both out tomorrow."

"Dad, it's Jenny's birthday party!" Maya replied.

"Oh," Roan blinked as he remembered the invitation he had already RSVP'ed to a month ago. He looked at Leo before speaking, "what about you?"

"I'm free," Leo shrugged. He liked Uncle Kingsley, so he didn't mind spending time with him alone.

"Wow, I have a better social life than you," Maya said.

"Oh, you did not just say that," Leo narrowed his eyes at his sister who giggled at him.

"Oops," Maya muttered before getting up from the couch and running out of the room.

"Maya don't run up the stairs!" Roan yelled out, before shaking his head and sighing, "she's going to make my hair turn gray."

"Hey, she's your daughter, so you asked for it," Leo shrugged.

It took him a moment to realise what he had just said. Leo looked up at Roan, who was already looking at him. Leo had been very protective over Maya ever since day one, and this was the first time he acknowledged that adoptive or not, she was Roan and Kai's daughter now.

"Honey, I'm home!" Kai called as he entered through the front door, thankfully breaking the awkward silence, "and you will not believe who I ran into at the grocery store? Remember that ex of yours—"

~~~

Milan sighed in relief when Quinn texted him back to let him know that they approved Milan's outfit. Fashion had never been his strongest suit, so after five different mirror selfies that he sent to Quinn with various combos of shirts and pants, Quinn finally selected one. An olive green shirt with black jeans, basic, but suitable for the occasion.

To : Milan | From : Quinn

You handsome devil, Leo is gonna be thinking about a different kind of meat the whole time during dinner ;)

To : Quinn | From : Milan

please buy holy water and drench your brain with it

Milan grabbed his phone, wallet and house keys before making his way down the stairs. He entered the living room to let his mom know that he was heading out, but his dad was sitting there as well. Milan froze for a moment, he had almost forgotten about his father.

"You look nice," his mom complimented when she saw his son.

"Thanks, uh, so I'm going out now," Milan said. His mom nodded, but his dad interrupted his departure.

"Going out? Where?" He asked.

"Dinner," Milan paused, he dug his nails in his palm to try and level himself as he continued, "with Leo and his family."

"What? Do you expect me to—"

"Have fun, and come back at a reasonable hour, okay?" His mom cut off his dad for the first time ever in their lives. Needless to say, both the men in the room were shocked.

Milan's dad was stunned, as he stared at his wife in disbelief. Milan used this opportunity to mutter a 'bye' and rushed out of the house. As he walked down the street to Leo's place, Milan couldn't help but feel proud of his mom for finally speaking up.

He knew his mom never wanted to kick out Ben, he knew she loved them both with all of her heart. But she could never speak up against her husband, but for the first time— she did.

Milan had a huge grin on his face all the way over to his destination. It was almost enough to make him forget how anxious he was feeling for the rest of the night. But as soon as he reached Leo's door, he was a bundle of nerves once again.

Milan took a deep breath in before ringing the doorbell, and within a few seconds the door was opened. Milan looked down, at Maya, who had a big smile on her face.

"Leo! Dad one! Dad two! Leo's boyfriend is here!" Maya yelled. Milan's eyes widened, almost comically, and his cheeks flushed as he stared at the little girl.

"Jesus Christ, Maya!" Leo sighed as he walked over to the front door, "let him enter first."

Maya moved aside, and Milan got in. Leo shut the door behind them, and nudged Maya to leave them alone for a moment. She gave the two a cheeky wink, before skipping back to the kitchen.

"Sorry about that," Leo said, "you look handsome."

"Does she really call them dad one and dad two?" Milan asked.

"It's a long story..."

***

chapter 34 is up on patreon! link in bio (avoid signing up towards the end of the month though since patreon charges on the 1st of every month as well as when you sign up)