Chapter Thirty-Eight

Začať od začiatku

Ridge, Roman, and Talia congratulated them both with hugs and handshakes.

"My dear, when you say you want to be married as soon as possible, I feel there should be an engagement period. Besides, we will need to make your wedding dress," said her mother.

"Men, that might be our cue to let these women talk," said Gordon. "Let's go outside and look at the barn. It is truly a masterpiece."

Men got dressed in their outer gear, and the women cleared the table. Tension was thick in the air as the women worked. Talia rolled up her sleeves and started the water for dishes. Rose and Charlotte put away what little food was left.

Constance found a towel and dried dishes as Talia washed. Talia told the women about their trip to Cumberland to see Rose's sister and her husband. She explained the horses they bought, along with a wagon bed for their new estate. When they finished, the women enjoyed a cup of coffee at the table.

"So, what are your plans, Charlotte?" asked Rose.

"We discussed two options. One, we could get married by Father D'Angelo at the Thanturnum estate, especially since Reggie's brothers are here."

"Or?"

"I know, Mother, you have dreamt of me walking down the aisle at St. Michael's church."

"What mother hasn't? Plus, your grandfather would be so thrilled."

"We could attend Juliette's party at the end of the month as a family and have the wedding ceremony on Sunday with a reception at the Winthrop's."

"That would give us some time to be make everything perfect."

"But we don't want to wait that long."

"The month will go by fast and please don't deny me a church wedding for my only daughter."

"Then who do you think should walk me down the aisle? Grandfather or my real father?"

Constance realized the scandal that would cause for Charlotte, and the news of Senator Randolph's arrest would be all over the papers.

"Let's think about it and talk more tonight," said Constance as she mulled around her thoughts.

"Talia, would you like to see the rest of the cabin?" asked Charlotte.

She showed her the dressing areas by the beds and the hand-carved nativity scene. Charlotte and Talia pulled open the root cellar door, and the girls climbed down the ladder. Charlotte showed her the priest's hole.

"This is too beautiful to be hidden down in this cellar," said Talia.

"It was where Mrs. Polansky prayed every day during the winter. She has another statue in a corner of the garden."

When they climbed out of the root cellar, Charlotte showed her the long hallway at the back of the cabin that led to the smokehouse. The light through the windows had warmed the area.

"I would love to see the garden with the other statue," said Talia.

The girls put on their outer gear and went out the back door as the women relaxed in the large chairs by the fireplace. Charlotte and Talia went out the back door and followed the path to the garden.

"Wow. Look at the size of this garden!" exclaimed Talia.

There were overgrown weeds that peaked through the snow. Portions of the path showed as they walked to the corner where the statue of the Virgin Mary resided.

"What a beautiful statue."

"I think so. I am curious to see what plants come back this spring."

"Charlotte, I think this is a wonderful place with a magnificent view. But I take it your mother thinks you should live in a larger house with servants."