Chp. 6 And Retry

It had only been a couple of days and a few restless nights before finally hearing from Carlisle again. When the Warrior came by in the morning of a week and a half later you were ecstatic, finally you were going to start your training and excel above all the other kids, even catching up to Alban, fulfilling the promise of not leaving each other behind.

The interaction was short, a knock on the door a few hours after sunrise and a quick conversation to let you know that he was sorry for not contacting you the day after like he said and that your first bit of training would begin in the same courtyard that afternoon. Your Mother just briefly caught Carlisle as he was talking to you in the doorway of your home.

Mama: Oh! Mr Grantz, I wasn't expecting you to come over otherwise I would've prepared some tea or something. Please come in!

The man smiled and chuckled for a few moments, likely at your mother's sense of urgency. She probably thought the sight of the Warrior was much more of a serious matter than it actually was. Carlisle was one of the good ones, you hoped at least.

The man raised his hands to calm the woman and spoke.

Carlisle: No need, Ma'am. I's just stoppin' by for a few moments ta let yer boy know that his trainin' begins this afternoon. If that's okay with you of course.

He leaned hand first on your door frame and smiled in an attempt at a charming smile. Mama simply returned the favour in a shy manner before raising her left hand to her sternum and laughing all the same. For a few brief moments you stood in between the two adults and looked back and forth. Carlisle stood just outside the house and Mama stood just a metre down the hall of the entrance to the house.

Whatever sort of strange thing was happening here, your 7-year-old self hoped it would quickly pass and die in a fire.

Carlisle looked your mother up and down for a moment and noticed her clothing, curiously, he asked about it.

Carlisle: Ah, (M/N)! mind if I ask why yer so neatly dressed? Is somethin' happenin' today?

Your Mother, surprised he would ask, looked herself up and down for a bit and was reminded she was wearing her work uniform. Her uniform consisted of a blue long-sleeved dress and white apron. On a normal occasion, her role would have been more easily noticeable if she had worn her scrub cap.

Mama: Oh, it's just my work uniform. I work as a Nurse at the local Liberio hospital.

She smiled apologetically and Carlisle replied with a comforting Ah! Like he wasn't already aware.

Carlisle: What a respectable profession. I hope it treats ya well. Speakin' of profession, I gotta go now and attend a meetin'. Remember what I told ya, kid.

He casually took off as you waved goodbye to him from the door, your mother quickly followed suit.

You: Bye, Carlisle!!

Your Mother looked happier than usual as she waved him away as well. Quickly, you shut the door and turn to her with a suspicious glance. She gave you a look like she had been caught in the act of something horrible.

You: What was that?

Mama: What was what, (Y/N)?

She smiled a wholesome smile at you and played dumb.

You: You were acting really weird around Carlisle!

The woman chuckled at you and walked back into the living room to prepare for work, you ungraciously chased after her only to receive an extremely disappointing answer.