Chp. 3 Enlistment

Mama stood at the door to the room you shared with Alban. It took some convincing, but she eventually gave in and signed the necessary paperwork for your entry into the Warrior Unit Program. On her face was a mixture of proudness and worry, it was unnerving to say the least. As she watched you fix up your greyish white Warrior uniform, a mixture of longer white trousers and a shirt-jacket with a turtleneck, she spoke up.

Your Mother: I hope you don't feel that at some point I pressured you to do something like this. You don't have to if you don't want to, we can manage!

Distressed, you turned to her, her face was almost desperate in a way. Was Mama trying to convince you to stop? Why, though? If you succeeded and became a Warrior both hers and your life would sky-rocket into near wealth and if you didn't, well, normal life, just as it was.

You lowered your leg after you finished tying your shoelaces. Slowly you approached Mama and hugged her.

You: I'm going to become a Warrior and I'm going to make everything better, Mama. Just watch, we'll be marleyans before you know it and you'll be so proud!

-

The woman looked at her son, a mirror image of his father even at 7 years old. She thought to herself 'How did I let you become so optimistic, dear boy?'

It only seemed like yesterday when his father left off to fight in the Eldian ground forces somewhere in the mid-east. He was so optimistic, believing that even for a moment he could make it out of the meat grinder that was the Marleyan-Eldian ranks. It came as no surprise that a few months later, the letter with confirmation of his death arrived. His mother who had lived with them didn't last more than a few months after his death before she passed away herself.

On that day she wept with a small child in her arms and a memory of a man who didn't deserve to die in a war he didn't understand. The only proof that either of them existed to this day was the boy she looked after now.

And now this boy, whom he shared so many qualities with, was wearing a uniform of death and attempting to march into the same graveyard.

Your Mother thought, no, she hoped that if she kept you sheltered enough, protected you and stayed with you that you would not seek more, something better.

Some good that did.

-
You: Okay, I'm ready, now. How do I look, Mama?

You outstretched your limbs, doing a little twirl in your Warrior uniform. Mama sighed and looked at you longingly before pulling out your grey armband from her green cardigan and crouching before you, she slid it on your left arm. She swiped her (H/C) strands of hair out of her face and then gently did the same to yours.

Mother: Never forget your armband, okay? Too many awful things have happened to those who have.

In her mind, she thinks back to the Yeagers and the Grices down the road.

You: Always, Mama.

Both of you hug and after a few moments you take your first steps out of the home as a trainee, your mother watches you longingly as you wave and walk away.

After quickly turning the corner of the cramp community house you instantly spot Alban in the same uniform. You almost called out before you noticed him speaking to his Papa, the sight was a stark contrast to the interaction you had with your Mama. You didn't know him very well, probably only spoke a few sentences with him at most every couple of days, but from what you could see, he seemed very excited and proud of Alban for attempting to become a Warrior.

Or maybe he just wanted a better life as well.

Alban: (Y/N)! Hey, man! Everything's okay with my Papa! What about you?