Friends Forever ≫ Sick! Honeyfern x Sick! Female! Reader (PLATONIC)

Art: Draikinator

⚠️ Warnings ⚠️
• Sickness

This was a request for my very loyal and very kind reader, Pinestripe37! I sincerely hope you enjoy your request! Only the best for you!

****

It had started with a slight cough and a runny nose. Leafpool had prescribed you some catmint and poppy seeds, then sent you on your way. However, the next day your cough had worsened into an unpleasant wet gurgle in your chest and you could no longer breathe through your nose. You returned to the medicine den, and after a few quick physical examinations, she announced that you had come down with a case of greencough. In order to prevent the spread of the disease, you had been quarantined in the abandoned twoleg nest on the edge of ThunderClan territory. Then, one by one, your clanmates joined you. It made you feel like a pierce of fox dung if you dwelled on it for too long; you had been the first cat In ThunderClan to fall ill, and thanks to you, all your friends, family, and clanmates got sick.

A burning sensation flared in your chest, and you shook into another violent fit of coughing. The taste of phlegm escaping your heaving lungs made you shudder. A bundle of herbs suddenly landed in front of you, and you looked up to see your friend, Honeyfern, standing in front of you. You smiled weakly, rasping your tongue over your jaws.

"Hey," You croaked. "What are you doing here? You'll catch your death."

"I'm sick too, mouse-brain," Your friend huffed with a twitch of her whiskers. "I've got the same thing as you, just not as bad. Now shut your muzzle and eat the herbs, already!"

You rolled your eyes. "Alright, mom." Holding your breath to avoid as much of the taste as possible, you bent your head and scooped the green bundle in your jaws and chewed. It was a strange mix of sweet, sour, and bitter, and it made you feel sick.

"Don't throw those up," Honeyfern meowed urgently. "I really don't think I can walk all the way back to camp and come all the way ba—" She broke off in a coughing fit, doubling over and covering her mouth with a paw. Her cough was nowhere near as deep and wet as yours, but it still sounded rather uncomfortable.

"You should lay down." You told her, scooting over in your nest to make more room.

"I'm fine," She wheezed pitifully. "there are much sicker cats who need to be taken care of. Since I'm one of the healthier ones, it's my job to—" She started coughing again, harder this time. You stood up abruptly, wincing as pain shot through your aching limbs.

"I'll believe you're fine when hedgehogs fly," You retorted. "I'm going to get you some catmint or something. Stay put!" You shot her a warning glare, then exited the makeshift den and began padding through the forest towards camp. The further you walked, the more your chest and throat burned. You had to stop several times to burst into a coughing fit, but you finally reached the thorn barrier guarding ThunderClan's hollow.

The tendrils parted and Leafpool stepped through with a mouthful of different herbs. Her eyes widened when she saw you, and she set the leaves down at her paws. "(Y/N)! What are you doing all the way over here? You know you're in no condition to travel!"

You were still trying to catch your breath from your slow lumber through the forest. "S-sorry," You wheezed. "I-I just wanted to get... Some catmint for.... For.... For Honeyfern. I.... I think she's.... Getting worse."

Leafpool sighed like a disappointed mother. "Okay, (Y/N). You've made your point. Take these herbs back to the twoleg den and have her eat them. Everything you need is in the bundle already." You muttered a quick "thanks", then scooped up the leaves in your jaws and began making your way back into the forest.

"(Y/N)!" Leafpool called as you were leaving. You turned and looked over your shoulder, an eyebrow raised. The medicine cat cast you a stern look. "After this, I'll claw your ears off if I catch you walking around again!" You nodded, your mouth too full to respond. She must have understood, however, because she smiled and disappeared back into camp. You started your painful trek through the forest, squeezing your eyes shut and praying to StarClan you wouldn't collapse. Just when you thought you couldn't take it anymore, the wood walls of the twoleg den appeared through the lush greenery. The sounds of sick cats reached your ears, and you sighed in relief.

Honeyfern peeked out of the crumbling structure once you were closer, her light blue eyes shining with a combination of admiration and anger. "I cannot believe you walked all the way back to camp just to bring me herbs!" She snapped once you reached the den entrance. "You're too sick to travel, (Y/N)!"

"You're starting to sound like Leafpool," You grumbled, dropping the bundle of leaves and pushing them towards her. "Here. Eat these."

Your friend shot you an irritated look. "I'm starting to sound like Leafpool? You're the one forcing herbs down my throat!"

"Just shut up and eat them!" You retorted.

"Fine, mom." Honeyfern scowled, mimicking your sarcastic quip from earlier. You rolled your eyes, watching her swallow the leaf mixture. Suddenly, a wave of fatigue crashed over you. Groaning, you collapsed roughly beside Honeyfern and closed your eyes, breathing heavily. You were nearly unconscious when your friend rolled over and rested her paw on your shoulder. You opened one eye, turning it up to look at her.

"You know I was just joking earlier, right?" She meowed, concern glistening in her mind eyes.

You blinked, somewhat confused. "You mean when you told me not to throw up because you didn't want to walk back to camp?"

"Yeah." She meowed, seeming slightly insecure.

You smiled at her. "I know, Honeyfern. You don't have to worry about that stuff. I'll always love you."

She smiled back, flashing her signature grin that never failed to make you feel at ease. "I'll always love you too, (Y/N). Promise we'll be friends forever?"

You chuckled hoarsely. "I promise."

****

I thought this prompt was the cutest idea ever! I could totally see this happening with Honeyfern. She was the sweetest girl ever.

Thank you so so soooo much for requesting, Pinestripe37! I love doing your requests if you ever want another one

Votes, comments, and feedback are greatly appreciated! Thank you, everyone!