XIV

on July 4th, just 1 week later, everyone in town was stoked about the Independence Day fair opening up in Hawkins. Will had been feeling a little better, he was just starting to re-adjust to home. he was starting to talk more around us, to me, to his family. I was really starting to think he was going to be okay.
All of my friends were hanging out today, but not me. I had to work at family video, I hadn't came into work much with everything going on, I even had to take a break from baseball. but my job is strict, I had to take this shift otherwise I'd be fired. But i would get off just in time for the fair. instead of my friends hanging out at the mall, they came to my work and hung out there until my shift were to end. They walked in surprisingly, I thought they'd want to get scoops or something else.

-"shouldn't you guys be at the mall? Or at the park or something?"
-"yes, but we were too bored without you." Lucas said, sarcastically.
-"okay, well I'm a little busy stocking up movies, and in case you didn't read the sign on the window, it says no loitering." I tapped on the glass as they followed me around.
-"it's the fourth of July! You shouldn't even be working today." Dustin complained.
-"well I am, I need the money and I'm not working at the mall. it's too much, I need this job. Just go, I have like 3 more hours until I close up. I'll meet you guys there at 7." I say.
-"whatever, see ya." Max said, as all of them left the store. will was with them, I guess he forgave max. I mean, it wasn't such a huge deal. i forgave her too anyway, it was an accident. And Will and I were starting to get better, we're hanging out and talking more. he's been acting pretty normal, like he's okay. which makes me very happy. im glad his life is starting to pan ou-

-"I don't pay you to loiter either, wheeler." Keith commented.

i rolled my eyes, before displaying all the movies on the racks.

after work, I left. Leaving my boss, Keith, alone. i went home to dress into comfier clothes. i wore a hoodie with shorts. I rode my bike downtown where the fair was. I looked around for my friends, they were all waiting by the fence. I jogged over to them.
-"finally, it's 7:12!" Max complained.
-"sorry, Keith wouldn't hop off my ass. but I'm here now, let's go." I clap my hands, following after my friends.
the night was such a blast, we all laughed and ran around together. every time i looked at Will, he was always looking at me. As if he needed to tell me something. But when he knew I was looking back, he looked away.
we all got tickets to go on the Farris wheel, dustin and Lucas wanted to sit with each other, as did El and max. So it left me and Will sitting on the same one.
we sat down and as we started going up I had to make sure he was okay.
-"are you okay?" He asked.
-"of course, why do you ask?" He said with a softer voice.
-"because, you've been eyeing me all night. Is there anything you want to tell me?" I ask, looking him in the eye.
-"I wasn't going to say this until after the ride, but I think I'm ready." He explained.
-"ready for what?" I squinted my eyebrows.
-"to start dating again."

the ride ended, the rest of our friends didn't notice Will taking me behind one of the food stands.

-"are you sure? It's only been a week! i don't want you to be in a relationship with me in the wrong headspace." I ask.
-"i'm positive. I'm ready, I love you. you make me feel safe, I don't want to wait anymore. There's no point." he sighed in relief.
-"are you 100% positive?" I asked once more.
-"stop asking, or I'll change my mind." We both chuckled.

I pressed my hand on the side of his warm, red face and kissed him, slowly. It had been so long since I felt his lips against mine, I almost forgot how it felt. It was great to have that feeling in my stomach again when I kissed him. The feeling of fireworks.
as he kissed me back with his arms wrapped around me, the fireworks started booming in the air. we stopped to look up, and smiled before kissing again. He ran his hands down my back as we kissed, but we pulled away when we realized how long we've been back here. We didn't want to walk out together, they'd know we were together. We went out separately, Will went out first, saying he didn't know where I was.
i was waiting a few minutes until walking out, but before I could someone grabbed me by the hood and shoved me to the floor. I couldn't tell who it was, but they shoved a needle in my neck, I would guess it was liquid ecstasy because as they put a bag over my head, I fainted.