IX

I woke up this morning to mike softly snoring on my chest, I ran my hands through his soft hair as he slowly began to wake up.
I couldn't stop thinking how much I thought I loved him, but couldn't tell him. I really wanted to.
-"morning, sleepy head." I joked.
-"shut up." He giggled quietly.
as he turned around to look at me, his eyes widened.

-"shit!" He covered his mouth.
-"what??" I sat up, he put his hand on my neck..

I jumped up and ran to the bathroom, him following after.
i looked in the mirror and there was a hickey the size of a bottle cap.
-"mike! What did you do??" I gasped looking at it.
-"sorry.." he started laughing.
-"shut up, stop laughing! It's really not funny! I have to find a way to cover this- and put a shirt on! My mom will be awake soon! I whisper-shouted.
-"okay, sorry!" He raised his hands up still laughing and walked out of the bathroom.

I was stressing, the only person i could really trust to help me is max. I quickly got dressed and rushed to my room to put a shirt on.

-"where are you going??" He asked.
-"max, she can cover it." I said.
-"let me go, I can't stay here by myself." He said.
-"why not?" I dropped my arms.
-"because! What if she wakes up and wonders where you are? And I'm lonely!" He begged.

i rolled my eyes, annoyed.
-"fine, hurry up!"

we rode our bikes down to her house a few blocks away.
-"are you sure you're ready to tell her?"
-"yeah, I can trust her. she won't tell anyone if we don't want her to."

we stopped outside her window and saw her fixing her skateboard, I knocked and she looked over and opened it for me.
We both walked in and she automatically noticed.
-"what the hell happened to your neck?"
-"uhm, we should talk.." I smiled nervously, eyeing mike.
-"what, did Mike give it to you?" She laughed.
-"what? How do you know?" Mike said, oblivious.
-"wait, I was joking. WAIT, YOU TWO??" she covered her mouth shocked.
-"okay, shut up maxine! Can you help me?"
-"don't call me that!"
-"please help me!"
-"fine!" She sat me down on her bed.

i looked at mike, giving him the side eye and he shook his head like an idiot. I tried not to laugh and rolled my eyes. She started applying weird stuff to it that smelt and felt weird.
-"you sure this will work?" I asked.
-"positive. Damn, how do you even manage to get it this big." She laughed at mike.
-"don't look at me." He crossed his arms, embarrassed, with a flushed pale face.

Me and max looked at each other before laughing at him, making him even more embarrassed. After a few minutes she had me look in the mirror, you couldn't really see it anymore.

-"oh my gosh, thank you. I owe you."
-"you can tell me later, I only stayed home from school today for a doctors appointment which I have to get to. I'll see you guys later, bye." She waved.

mike and I rode our bikes, talking the way to the store. We needed a few things for my house.
i walked in, leaving mike outside to wait for me to get cigarettes for my mom. The guy who worked knew me and my mom, so I didn't need an ID, as I was leaving I saw something.

mike was talking with a girl. Not just any girl, Jennifer jones. and laughing. they were a little close together.
-"I'll see you later, Mike." She waved.
-"bye."
i got on my bike, and we both rode away.
it was kind of quiet between us, the entire way back to my house. We walked through the front door and i placed the cigarettes on the table before walking to my bedroom, Mike could tell I was a little bothered.

-"what's wrong? You're quiet again." He asked.
-"nothings wrong." I shrug my shoulders.
-"is this about Jenni? She's just a friend."
-"nothings wrong, mike. I'm okay."
-"I can tell when you're lying, will. I'm attracted to you and you only. Nothing will change that. You have nothing to worry about." He assured me.
-"do you promise."

he put his hand on his chest and nodded. I smiled and he hugged me.
-"I promise you have nothing to worry about." He whispered.

we both laid down on bed and watched tv together. It was only 8 am, my mom should be getting up soon.
A few minutes pass by, a knock on the door makes me and mike stop cuddling.

-"Yeah, mom?"
She opened the door.
-"mike honey, your mom wants you home. She says it's an emergency. I can take you."

mike looked a little worried as he left my room, I felt bad but I didn't go with him. I stayed home until he called or radio'd me. But after a few hours, I got worried. I haven't heard from him.
I grabbed my walkie and tried to reach him.

-"mike? Is everything okay?"

******

-"mike?"

******

I placed it back on my end table, thinking of what he could be doing. I heard static from the other end before his voice.

-"will?"
-"mike? Hey, what's going on? I haven't heard from you in a while."
-"will.." I could hear the pain in his voice.
-"mike? What is it?" I felt so concerned.
He stammered over his words.
-"I'll meet you in your basement.. you don't have to tell me on here."
-"yeah, okay." He sniffled.

i shut off my walkie and ran to his house, my bike wasn't fast enough. He didn't live to far, so I got there within 3 minutes. I opened his basement door and he was sitting on the couch, crying in his knees.
i shut the door and rushed over to him.
-"mike.. what happened?" I pulled him into my arms and let him cry as long until he couldn't anymore. I've never seen him like this before.
-"my- uhm- will." He stammered.
-"shh, take a deep breath, calm yourself." I wiped the tears falling from his face.
-"now, what happened?"
-"my.. my dad. He was on a business trip to Connecticut. his planet crashed, there were no survivors." He sniffed, stuttering along the way.

My eyes widened.
-"mike, no. Im so sorry." I hugged him again, he rested his head on my shoulder.

I didn't know what to do, I don't know how to deal with these types of things.
-"I was a horrible son, he was so disappointed in me." He sniffed.
-"mike, don't say that. He loved you.." I moved the hair from his face.
-"I never had a good relationship with him, it just hurts to know that we could've fixed it but now it's too late."
-"Aw, mike. Im so sorry, it's going to be okay." I sat him down and he laid his head on my lap.
-"okay, I'm fine. I think I want to be alone for now." he whimpered.
-"okay, are you sure?" I said, standing up.
-"yeah, thank you. I'll call you." he said.

i kissed his forehead before leaving his house. I wish I could've done more to help him. But he wants to be alone, so I'll let him be alone. I cant imagine how sad he must be feeling.

I walked home, and when I walked through the door my mom was waiting for me in the living room.
-"hey, how is he?" She asks.
-"not great, he wanted to be alone."
-"oh.. well tomorrow you have a doctors appointment, but can you do me a favor? I need a few things from the store again. Can you run by the market?"
-"only if I can take your car." I asked.

She threw me the keys and list, I smiled and walked out of the house. I started the car and drove downtown to the grocery market.
I bought everything she needed for food, I checked out and I was walking out of the market, I saw something that changed my view on everything.

it was mike.

kissing Jennifer jones.