prologue: billy and the bean

SABRINA CARPENTER as BEATRICE HARGROVE

"What the hell kind of shithole is this?" Billy Hargrove questioned as he pulled into the town of Hawkins, Indiana in his blue Chevrolet Camaro. His twin sister, Beatrice Hargrove, shrugged and blew a bubble with her bubblegum. She sat with her feet on the dash and her arm hanging out the open window. She spit her gum out of the window.

"Couldn't we have just stayed in California?" Bea questioned, looking up at Billy.

   Billy shook his head. "Nope," he said. "Susan wanted to move."

   "And Susan gets what Susan wants, even if it means moving to a boring shithole" the girl muttered, running her hand through her curly blonde hair.

   Beatrice was the spitting image of her mother. That was the primary reason why Neil, her father, hated her. But Neil loved Susan, his new wife, and Susan loved her daughter, Maxine. Billy and Bea hated their new stepsister for that reason. The pair were grateful that they got to ride in Billy's car separate from their housemates and father.

   "That's the high school?" Billy questioned as they drove past a small building. They were used to schools with thousands of students. Hawkins High School was tiny.

   Bea sighed. "We're coming into this place as outcasts. . . It's a small town, we will always be outcasts."

   Billy glanced at his sister with a slight frown. He patted her shoulder reassuringly.

   "Hargroves are tough, Bean. We'll get through this. And guess what? We will be stars here. They've got nothing on Billy and the Bean," he said as a smile rose on his face. He grabbed his carton of cigarettes from his cup holder and tossed them onto his sister's lap. Beatrice nodded her head at her brother, silently thanking him. She was quick to grab two cigarettes, placing one at her brother's lips and one at her own. She grabbed a lighter and lit both.

   Bea took a long drag as she and her twin drove into their new lives in the quaint town of Hawkins. Little did the pair know, though, that Hawkins was anything but boring.