✰A pInCh Of TrUtH✰

Start from the beginning

I thought Sidharth was the most honest man but all this while he was fabricating tales while I kept laying my heart out before him.

He simply hid what could have solved so many problems in the house.

I tried to recall how I had freely told him that I loved him that very morning with no expectation of ever hearing it back again.What a bewakoof I must've looked like!

I held onto these thoughts as my driver left me at his place.

I stared up at the building remembering that I had seen it almost a week ago.

I hesitantly punched a button on the elevator.I was feeling numb.

Was this his idea of a joke? If he was so concerned about me, why didn't he just come out with the truth?

His butler bowed before me and whisked off my trolley inside. I followed after neatly placing my slippers in is shoe rack, right next to his.

There were sounds from the kitchen, maybe his house help had come. There was nothing extravagant about the setting, but his sofa seemed newly polished, the chandelier in the guest room gleamed brightly.

My first instinct told me to look for Sidharth but he came right in front of me as I processed the thought, a phone cradled in one hand and a mug in the other. He noticed me and stopped short.

"Accha, okay,book me--No,I'll get back to you--Haan--Chal,bye." He cut his call and looked at me with sheer joy on his face.

"What...You're early?"

"Ya, my show is done," I sad dryly.

"Done matlab?" His eyes widened slightly and then he smirked, "That's the best news I've heard today. Covid and everything affected your work too huh? Guess you're stuck here now baby."

"I...Am leaving to Punjab..."

He froze and then recovered, "No, you can't! I mean...Airlines are closed."

"Tomorrow is the last flight."

"Tum--" He noticed his house help and tugged at my arm and pulled me into the master bedroom.

I shrugged his hands off and he planted them on his hips, "Haan,bol. What are these new plans?"

"What? I just want to go back to my family, everyone is doing that."

He pursed his lips and said nothing. I turned away to look into the cupboard for my clothes from last night.

"Wait, are you upset or something?" He asked from behind me.

I didn't reply, finding my clothes among his. I pulled it out silently and turned. He was still closely behind me, observing me keenly.

I placed my palm on his chest and pushed him back gently. He let me and took a step back. I put my clothes into my bag and retrieved his sister's well ironed clothes.

"Give this to di," I muttered.

"Look at my face and talk," he demanded and I swallowed.

"Teri yeh roz ka naatak hogaya hai Shehnaz.What shall I do with you? Kya hua abhi?"

"Tu naatak kar raha hai mey nahi, theek hai na?" I shouted and he was taken aback. So was I.

I didn't mean to shout. I lowered my voice and jabbed a finger into his chest, "You're not honest to yourself or me or anyone."

He was still looking awestruck and even a little nervous, "Kya kiya yaar maine, I have zero idea.."

"Okay, tell me what I am to you..."

"What? You're...Of course you're special..."

"As a friend hai na?"

"Wha--Yeah, didn't we both--"

"Toh, matlab you're not ashamed to admit that you loved and dated girls like Zariwala but you cant even admit to yourself that you love me..."

His face closed off and he looked more serious now but I went on, "Coz I'm not angrez like you all, I can't talk general knowledge..."

A moment of silence later he said, "What are you even saying?"

"Mujhe sab pata hai, tu mereko friend se zyada maanta hai but you let me believe I'm some kid to you. If you had just told me that you didn't mind thinking of me like that but you just don't want to, I would have understood and left you alone..."

"Is that what you think of me? It's not about me at all baccha...Trust me, I've thought it through..."

"So tu yeh maanta hai ki yeh sach hai?"

"Kya?" He demanded, maneuvering me to the bed and making me sit down. He was now hovering over me, looking concerned.

His large hand cupped my face, pushing strands of hands of hair away from my cheeks, "Relax baby, relax...Kya hogaya? I'm telling you Shehnaz, it is like that but I just want you to be happy. I don't want to complicate us, theek hai?"

"Toh tu yeh kyu chupaaya kutte?"

He sighed, "When did I ever say I don't to you? You're..." He cleared his throat, "I care too much for you, you have no idea. I'm just trying to do what's best for you."

That appeased my temper.

"I love you," I smiled up at him and he was puzzled by my sudden change of mood.

I didn't mind his silence, I understood that he had a problem expressing it to me. Sidharth the-so-called-ladies-man was standing in front of me with nothing to say. Priceless.

I took his hand in mine and kissed his palm softly, "I love you, do you love me?" I asked in english.

To my utter amusement, Sidharth's ears turned pink. He masked his expression on his face with his arm, "Shehnaz, baby, please..."

I grinned, this was fun.

"So I'm going to book my tickets for Punjab now..."

He immediately sharpened his gaze at me in irritation and disbelief.

I smiled and got up, "Mazak kar rahi hu baby..."

 I could'nt hold in my grin as he shifted his foot back.I fisted his T-shirt and tugged him closer. I had to stand on my tippy toes to match his height. I grazed my cheek against his stubble, inhaling the scent of his aftershave. My hand that was on his shoulder went down and gave a gentle smack at his bum, like he playfully did to me.

He jolted and then moved back in shock.

"Game on baby, game on," I whispered leaving him behind.

Aagaya bada, mujhe apne aap se safeguard karne wale, ab dikhati hu tujhe.